Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Thoughts about the Graph Builder

Hi,

I am a business informatics student from Germany and i am currently testing the chart creation and the graph builder of JMP8 for my diploma thesis.
My first obvious question or thought that i ran into is: Why is the graph builder - with the nicely implemented drag&drop for variables and groupings, not for the creating of all types of charts? It seems to me like the use for the graphbuilder is more in statistic data.
Its a very nice tool, but you can only produce Scatterplots with it. Ok you can also add columns to the chart after creating it BUT, if there are multiple y-values for one x-value and you want to add columns to the chart, its necessary to prevent the values from overlapping over one x-axis value to have each point as a column. Maybe I dint discover that feature yet, but the quintessence is still the same - why is the GraphBuilder not for all types of charts....

greetz

kalleballe

Message was edited by: kalleballe
9 REPLIES
where is it possible to add a second axis to a bar/column chart???
another thing:

how do i set filters ... if i have a very long table with a year column and i want to visualize years 1999-2002 in the chart?
louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Go to rows>data filter and then select your column of interest, in your case year. Then use the data filter interactively utilizing the show and include buttons to filter your output.
where do i add a second axis - i just cant find it!?

Message was edited by: kalleballe
XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Dual axis displays are not included in Graph Builder for JMP 8, but may be in a future version. Singles axis graphs may be better depending on audience. See http://www.perceptualedge.com/articles/visual_business_intelligence/dual-scaled_axes.pdf
ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

I just downloaded the trial of JMP 8 for Mac and I am really impressed with the ease of use and responsiveness of the Graph Builder tool. However, it is currently not very stable on the Mac (Leopard, Intel). JMP frequently crashes when I am playing around with Graph Builder. Although not 100% predictable, it often seems to happen when removing the X or Y (by dragging it off the chart) from a grouped design.

Simple linear fits would be a very useful addition to the display options (Smoother, Points, Line).
Also a "median" option among the "Summary Statistic" choices would be welcome

Message was edited by: MS
XanGregg

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks for the comments -- we'll focus our testing on that scenario and work on a fix.
Instead of adding a second axis for another y variable, I just plot the second variable above (or below) the first variable by dragging to the top (or bottom) of the y axis. I think this is an easier way to visualize the 2 individiual variables.
I make multiple types of graphs with graph builder. It supports bars, lines, box plots, scatterplots and histograms. Chapter 43 of the JMP Stat & Graph Guide (pg. 937 in the on-line documentation found under Help>Books) has a very good description of most of the capabilities of the Graph Builder.