Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

The Joy of Data closing line (non-technical post)

rabelardo

Community Trekker

Mar 30, 2016

Sharing with everyone the closing line in The Joy of Data.

But, for me, despite how much the world has changed, the core challenge is the same as it always was. It doesn't matter if you are William Farr in Victorian London trying to understand cholera or in one of Bristol's wired-up houses, all you're trying to do is to understand patterns in the data using the language of mathematics. And machines can certainly help us to find those patterns, but it takes us to find the meaning in them.

... I, for one, am an optimist as well as a rationalist and I think that if we can marshal together the power of data, then the future lies in the hands of the many and not just the few. And that, for me, is the real joy of data.

– from The Joy of Data

The Joy of Data is a witty and mind-expanding exploration of data, with mathematician Dr Hannah Fry. This high-tech romp reveals what data is and how it is captured, stored, shared and made sense of. Fry tells the story of the engineers of the data age, people most of us have never heard of despite the fact they brought about a technological and philosophical revolution.

2 REPLIES
Steven_Moore

Super User

Jun 4, 2014

Apparently, one can only watch the video clip found at your link if you are in the UK.  Any other place to see it?

Steve
rabelardo

Community Trekker

Mar 30, 2016

Sorry about that. Saw another one here​ with this direct link.