Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Text explorer

biancapiccirill

Community Trekker

May 10, 2016

I'm trying to group similar Account names together in my data set. For example '123 Co' and '123 LLC' are technically the same company and therefore need to be grouped together.
I've used the recode feature in the past but it hasn't been successful due to 'John Smith' 'Mary Smith' and 'Bob Smith' all getting grouped together when they shouldn't be. I was wondering if there was a way to do this in Text Explorer?
5 REPLIES
M_Anderson

Staff

Nov 21, 2014

Hi!  You might have a look at the articles from JMP Discovery this year.  They might give you some additional thoughts on how to approach your problem.

Best,

M

JMP Discovery 2016 Papers

Peter_Bartell

Jun 5, 2014

Did you try using the "All But Last Word" option from the Recode hot spot dropdown? Or am I not understanding your question or desired outcome correctly?

biancapiccirill

Community Trekker

May 10, 2016

Yes, that is a great idea for the instances of "123 Co" vs "123 LLC". However, what happens when I have something like "1st Choice Bank Services" vs "First Choice Bank". Is there another setting in Recode I could use that would still group those company names together?

Peter_Bartell

Jun 5, 2014

You can control click select the items in the Recode New Values column list and then group them.

biancapiccirill

Community Trekker

May 10, 2016

okay I will try that. thank you!