cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jswislar
Level III

Temp Files? Can I configure JMP?

Does JMP create temp files while saving large files? I keep getting an I/O not enough disk space error message when I try to save a file.

I am saving a very large file to an external server with lots of free space, so I know there's disk space. However, my copy of JMP resides on a hard drive with no space (maybe 0.5% available; C:). I'm thinking that this is the problem. My computer has another drive (E:) with gobs of space. If hard drive space is an issue, can I direct JMP to write its temp files to E:?

IT set up the machine and installed the software, and I think getting them to move it will be a long laborious process. I already asked them for help and they just shrugged.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Temp Files? Can I configure JMP?

try SaveAs to a non-existing filename. JMP might be making a temp file when it replaces an existing file.

Craige
jswislar
Level III

Thanks. The only way that I've been able to save my files is to find a new location for them each time I want to save them, then go back and duplicate the old file and move the new version back to the file it belongs in. I was hoping that there would be a more permanant solution.

jschroedl
Staff

When working with an existing file, JMP will save the new file to a temporary area and then overwrite the original file when the save is complete. This can help recover the original file in the situation where JMP is not able to write the new file for some reason.

JMP will use the location of your TEMP dir. To see where that is, you can open Windows Explorer and type %TEMP% into the location bar at the top. 

Windows is able to change the location of TEMP by following these instructions: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/change-location-of-temp-files-fold... You may need help or permission from your IT dept but if you can change your temp directory to reside on your large E: drive, I think JMP should have a better chance of completing the save.

Hope this helps,

John

Chris_Rodrigues
Level III

Actually JMP seems to use the environment variable %TMP%, not %TEMP%.

I was able to solve this issue without IT assistance using a simple batch file that changes the TMP folder location for a local cmd.exe instance and then start the JMP application.  JMP inherits the environment variables from cmd.exe for only that instance of the application.

SET TEMP=H:\TEMP
SET TMP=H:\TEMP
START /D "C:\Program Files\SAS\JMPPRO\15" jmp.exe

Now I can save my big file without running out of space on C:

Are you aware of JMP's path variables? They might be an easier way to achieve what you want to do. You can create your own or customize the defaults .