Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jdkurtis
Community Trekker

Table rearrangement challenge

Hi-

I am trying to rearrange a table and am struggling to get the desired output. I have tried using the Summary Table, Join or Update menu functions in various permutations but have failed... any help would be extreamly appreciated- the actual table has 80,000 rows, so really can't do this manually...

I know there are no more than 10 thaw dates/thaw IDs for any given Sample ID in the real data set.

The Summary Table function quickly gets me to a table with each Sample ID listed only once (desired)- but I cannot figure out how to get the additional Thaw Date and Thaw ID columns created and populated..

thx

jake

Starting Table:

Sample IDThaw DateThaw ID
17/28/0343
27/28/0312
37/28/0332
47/28/0354
49/28/0378
411/28/0395
57/28/0358
59/28/0380
67/28/0360

Desired Output Table:

Sample IDThaw Date 1Thaw ID 1Thaw Date 2Thaw ID 2Thaw Date 3Thaw ID 3
17/28/0343    
27/28/0312    
37/28/0332    
47/28/03549/28/037811/28/0395
57/28/03589/28/0380  
67/28/0360    
0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
jerry_cooper
Staff (Retired)

Re: Table rearrangement challenge

Hi @jdkurtis ,

It might be helpful to know what analysis you're hoping to do, as it is very likely that your data are already in an analysis-ready format. Most JMP platforms play very nicely with "tall" or "stacked" data. However, the easiest way to do what you are asking is to create a new formula column containing the rank for each date within Sample ID:

Col Rank( :Thaw Date, :Sample ID )

Then just use the Tables->Split function with the following roles defined:

Split By: The new formula column

Split Columns: Thaw ID, Thaw Date

Group: Sample ID

This should give you what you're after. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Once you have done your Summary on the data table, then you can use

Tables==>Split

and Split By Thaw Date, Group on Sample ID, and having Thaw ID as the Split Columns

Jim
Highlighted
jdkurtis
Community Trekker

thanks so much... this got me very, very close to the desired output.. but the reply below (from jerry_cooper) got me all the way there...

I very much appreciate you taking the time to think about the problem and providing your input....

best,
jake
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jerry_cooper
Staff (Retired)

Hi @jdkurtis ,

It might be helpful to know what analysis you're hoping to do, as it is very likely that your data are already in an analysis-ready format. Most JMP platforms play very nicely with "tall" or "stacked" data. However, the easiest way to do what you are asking is to create a new formula column containing the rank for each date within Sample ID:

Col Rank( :Thaw Date, :Sample ID )

Then just use the Tables->Split function with the following roles defined:

Split By: The new formula column

Split Columns: Thaw ID, Thaw Date

Group: Sample ID

This should give you what you're after. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jdkurtis
Community Trekker

Thank you so much for your answer- it worked perfectly...

I am not using this for an analysis- rather to reorganize a large database of stored samples to upload into a commercial freezer database that requires a specific format... I always turn to JMP for this type of work, but couldn't figure this one out.. I will certainly read up on the Col Rank function as this was the step I had not considered...

best,
jake

0 Kudos