cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mben
Level II

Successfully performed Ordinary Least Squares - Whats next?

Hi, 

Here is a picture of a snippet of the dataset I am working with:

mben_0-1635043684520.png

p and k are assumed to be dependent variables, dependent on the rest of the parameters. My goal is to get the best possible polynomial p = f(x1,x2,x3...) to model the relationships between my data. Same thing for x.

So far, I followed a cookie cutter tutorial on how to perform OLS and got a very basic linear polynomial for my data. The Adj. RSquared ended up being around 0.18, which is pretty poor. I want to improve this!

I have very little statistical experience - so could someone please point me in the right direction for learning how to improve the polynomial I already have. In a previous post, a commenter mentioned transforming my data. I did a little searching, but could not figure out the best way to determine what transformations to execute to improve my polynomial. 

Thank you for your time!

P.S. If anyone would be willing to discord screenshare for like 30 minutes to quickly work with me and teach me related JMP/stats stuff so I can learn to solve my problem, I would compensate you for your time.

5 REPLIES 5
statman
Super User

Re: Successfully performed Ordinary Least Squares - Whats next?

Welcome to the JMP community.  I don't understand your situation, but it sounds like you are trying to build a model based just on the data?  You don't provide any information about how the data was obtained.  And now I see you have started multiple threads on the same topic???

Here are my thoughts for developing a model:

1. Before any data has been collected, develop hypotheses, rooted in the sciences, the explain why there would be a potential causal relationship between the independent variables and the dependent variables.

2. Design multiple sampling plans or experiments to provide insight to those hypotheses considering how each would vary in resources necessary, what effects are possible to estimate, what will be confounded and what will be restricted.

3. Predict ALL possible outcomes of such a data collection strategies and what action you will take for each prediction.  Then choose the one that balances the knowledge gain with the resource investment.

4. Collect the data noting any observations of interest and perform analysis. Always Practical, then graphical and lastly quantitative.

How the data was acquired has an effect on how you build the model.  For example, I typically do a subtractive approach when the data is from an experiment (start with a saturated model and remove terms with an eye on is it reasonable from an engineering or scientific perspective?, Rsquare-Rsquare adjusted delta, RMSE, p-values and residuals).  If it is from a nested study, I start at the bottom and work my way up.  If it is just observational data, I might take a more additive approach (e.g., step wise of start with a first order and add terms) and of course you need to worry about multicollinearity.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
mben
Level II

Thank you very much for your thoughts,

I only started multiple threads because after posting my first one and getting a reply, it seems the direction of my problem has changed after I learned more. I apologize for that.

My data is completely observational and has been collected through measurements only. I guess my biggest problem is I have no statistics experience, so a lot of what you have said doesn't mean anything to me unfortunately, and I am mainly looking to be pointed to the right direction for the procedure for improving a model based off of data alone. Looks like this may be a lot more complicated than I originally expected though... I'm always learning.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @mben 

Feel free to send me a private message if you want personal support.

Ron

mben
Level II

@ron_horne Thank you very much

Unfortunately, when trying to private message you I get this message:

mben_0-1635094880813.png

This may be because I am a new user. Would you happen to be willing to use discord or something for messaging? Or is there a way to get permission for private messaging on this forum?

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @mben try me at:

ron.horne@mail.huji.ac.il

I think you didn't allow private messages on your profile.