Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
gallardet
Level III

Study of the evolution of the inhabitants according to the place of residence

Maybe I am very daring asking for this help. I have a table with the inhabitants of different municipalities throughout the years (1900 to 2010 for decades). I would like to obtain a graph showing the evolution of the inhabitants over time, showing this evolution for several populations simultaneously. Also, if possible I would like to apply some statistical test to see if the differences in depopulation curves between different municipalities are significant. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Study of the evolution of the inhabitants according to the place of residence

I see. You simply want a plot of population versus year and a smooth curve for each municipality. Graph Builder provides a smoother with a parameter for the flexibility. Is that way sufficient to represent the curve? Do you instead want to fit another kind of model for the relationship?

Also, a minor suggestion: change the year variable to be numeric data and use the continuous modeling type. Those changes will go a long way towards your goal.

Learn it once, use it forever!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Study of the evolution of the inhabitants according to the place of residence

You could use a Bubble Plot where the X and Y are geographic locations (longitude and latitude, respectively). You can use population for bubble size. You can use decade in the time role and then animate the plot to see the evolution.

Highlighted

If you only have the name of the municipality but not its location, then you could use the Tree Map in Graph Builder on population (Y) and municipality (X). Add a local data filter for decade and animate there.

Highlighted

Let me try again. You mentioned curves. My previous replies did not address that aspect. You might try them anyway for insight.

Do you have JMP Pro? If so, then you might find it useful to process and model the curves with Functional Data Explorer. The functional principal components can be saved and used as new responses (Y). You can then fit models to them (e.g, versus municipality) to determine if there are differences.

Highlighted
gallardet
Level III

Well, I do not have JMP Pro. I wonder if in JMP can I represent some curves like I can easily do in EXCEL (sorry to name it), where on the one hand I have the values of the years on the abscissa and on the coordinate the values of population.

Highlighted

I see. You simply want a plot of population versus year and a smooth curve for each municipality. Graph Builder provides a smoother with a parameter for the flexibility. Is that way sufficient to represent the curve? Do you instead want to fit another kind of model for the relationship?

Also, a minor suggestion: change the year variable to be numeric data and use the continuous modeling type. Those changes will go a long way towards your goal.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
gallardet
Level III

Thanks for your interest. I have not achieved what I wanted until I have transposed my original table, which had as columns the different years and in the rows the names of the municipalities. In the transposed table each column corresponds to a municipality.

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.