cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
thaumaturgy
Level I

Statistical Significance on Time Series Trend

I am looking for a way to assess the statistical significance of a trend in a time series data set.

For instance the "Seriesg" example data set in JMP (the airline passengers set) shows a steady increase in the "log Passengers" variable. It has a cyclic pattern and the "JMP Start Statistics" book discusses this on pg 531.

But what I cannot find anywhere is a way to get a t-test on the slope of the trend.

It is clear this trend isn't hard to see, but if I have noisier data and I'd like to get a t-test on the slope of a linear regression on the trend that isn't biased due to autocorrelation, how do I do that?

Thanks!
-Chris
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mfisher
Level III

Re: Statistical Significance on Time Series Trend

You can use "time" as your linear trend input. In the JMP time series module, select "log passenger" as y, and time as both a time id and as an input. You'll want to fit this as a Transfer Function.

I got best results using an autoregressive order 3 and a seasonal autoregressive order 1, with time checked as a simple input. The residuals are not autocorrelated, and slope is siginficant t < 0.0001.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Chris, Well if you have SAS/ETS you can use Proc UCM to perform your time series trend and it does output a p-value of various trends, cycles, level shifts, and irregularities.

Regards,
Randy
thaumaturgy
Level I

Randy,
Unfortunately I don't have SAS, I use JMP. What does the SAS proc include? Is there an analogue in the JMP software?

Thanks,
mfisher
Level III

You can use "time" as your linear trend input. In the JMP time series module, select "log passenger" as y, and time as both a time id and as an input. You'll want to fit this as a Transfer Function.

I got best results using an autoregressive order 3 and a seasonal autoregressive order 1, with time checked as a simple input. The residuals are not autocorrelated, and slope is siginficant t < 0.0001.