Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Stat Testing and Data Tables

mcstagger

Community Trekker

Oct 6, 2014

Hello All!

New JMP user here with a Tabulate question. I am trying to achieve a data table look that I have been familiar with up to this point which looks similar to the below:

Group 1Group 2
Base Size300300
AB
18-24

10%25%A
25-3420%20%
35-4430%30%
45-5420%15%
55+20%B10%

So far I am having luck developing the general look of a table like the above excluding the stat testing.

My question is, can I create a table like the above in JMP? If so, can someone point me towards a resource that goes through the steps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Hi mcstagger,

My apologies for not interpreting correctly, you want that table exactly! Tabulate is powerful, but you won't be able to move around the sections to make exactly that table. Tabulate is also not built for doing analyses, only tabulating. If you wish to reveal the contingency test, you will need to use Analyze > Fit Y by X, or Analyze > Consumer Research > Categorical. Each of those platforms will make a table close to what you want, but not exactly I'm sorry to say. In case it helps, here is the set up for both of those platforms.

I'm sorry I don't have steps to make that exact table, but I hope this gets you a little bit closer.

Julian

11 REPLIES
julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Hi mcstagger,

Using tabulate you can make a table very much like the one you have posted. The exact steps depend on how your original data table is structured. Would you be willing to post your data, or some sample data with the same format? If so, I would be happy to write out some steps.

Julian

mcstagger

Community Trekker

Oct 6, 2014

Julian,

Could we use a sample data set provided with JMP?

Using the attached with "Gender" as our banner and "Goals" as our stub should work.

Thank you for the assistance Julian.

julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Hi mcstagger

Of course. Here's a quick video of the steps I would go through to make that sort of table. Does this get you to where you want?

I hope this helps!

Julian

mcstagger

Community Trekker

Oct 6, 2014

Julian,

What you have shown me is pretty much where I have been able to get. The pieces that I am looking for now are:

1. Getting the column base size to show up above the column it represents, i.e. Male (n=227) and Female (n=251)
  2. Stat testing between column A (males) and B (females)
stan_koprowski

Community Manager

Aug 8, 2012

Hello,

Alternatively, if you are using JMP 11 you could use the Categorical platform under the Consumer Research menu.

Using the Children's Popularity data table and using the breakout and stub you suggested will produce the following:

7380_Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 3.20.09 PM.png

Best,

Stan

mcstagger

Community Trekker

Oct 6, 2014

Stan,

Thank you for helping out as well. Please see my latest response to Julian. What I am looking for is more consistent formatting to what I had initially posted, along with the steps, if possible, to show column stat testing.

Solution

Hi mcstagger,

My apologies for not interpreting correctly, you want that table exactly! Tabulate is powerful, but you won't be able to move around the sections to make exactly that table. Tabulate is also not built for doing analyses, only tabulating. If you wish to reveal the contingency test, you will need to use Analyze > Fit Y by X, or Analyze > Consumer Research > Categorical. Each of those platforms will make a table close to what you want, but not exactly I'm sorry to say. In case it helps, here is the set up for both of those platforms.

I'm sorry I don't have steps to make that exact table, but I hope this gets you a little bit closer.

Julian

mcstagger

Community Trekker

Oct 6, 2014

That is what I was afraid of. Thanks much Julian!

julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

One more try -- hacking things together here a bit    Hope this gives you some ideas.

Julian