Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Sport court/field as shapes for graph builder

agneshb

Community Trekker

Jan 19, 2014

Hi,

I'm working on performance results for squash players and thought it would be really nice to be able to use the shape option in the graph builder to visualize the data. I my case that would be the squash court floor but I think this could also apply to many other sports (see here Squash Court Construction and Installation | Sports Unlimited for what a squash court floor looks like).

I haven't been able to create the shapes myself but if anyone else is interested in the same topic may be we could help each other

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks

Agnès

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

I realise just giving an example of the output much explanation wasn't particularly helpful.  I've put together a more detailed explanation for both manually creating the shape files and using the custom map addin:

http://www.pega-analytics.co.uk/blog/shape-files/

I am curious about the data you might have - whether you just having timings or frequency data for different sectors of the court of whether you might have some more detailed motion data.  I would have thought motion data is much harder to collect but much more useful for evaluating the ghosting.  If you have it, then I'm not sure that the shape files are the right approach - simply having a background image might be more useful if the data can be adjusted to the same scale as the image.

Dave

-Dave
9 REPLIES
David_Burnham

Super User

Jul 13, 2011

Do you just want the floor space or also the surrounding walls?

-Dave

-Dave
agneshb

Community Trekker

Jan 19, 2014

Hi Dave,

For now just the floor Space with the different quadrant.

I'm tracking performance of 'ghosting' exercises for the players = without a racket or ball, they just simulate the movements going from the center of the court to each of the corners + middle of the lateral wall, coming back to the center each time. We count how many repetition they do for a certain period of time and track performance in each quadrant.

Do you think you can help?

Thanks!

~  Agnès

David_Burnham

Super User

Jul 13, 2011

My thought was that it would be easy to write some code to digitize the map by setting it as a background image.  I had a vague memory of an add-in for creating custom maps but failed to find it in the addins (I was searching for "shape") - so thanks Audrey (below) for pointing that out.  The addin should work - I just tried it out - it takes a bit of practice working out whether to click next before or after you are defining a shape but I managed to get something out:

9241_squashcourt.PNG

-Dave

-Dave
agneshb

Community Trekker

Jan 19, 2014

Nice! Thanks Dave

I'll work with the addins and should get there too :-)

Solution

I realise just giving an example of the output much explanation wasn't particularly helpful.  I've put together a more detailed explanation for both manually creating the shape files and using the custom map addin:

http://www.pega-analytics.co.uk/blog/shape-files/

I am curious about the data you might have - whether you just having timings or frequency data for different sectors of the court of whether you might have some more detailed motion data.  I would have thought motion data is much harder to collect but much more useful for evaluating the ghosting.  If you have it, then I'm not sure that the shape files are the right approach - simply having a background image might be more useful if the data can be adjusted to the same scale as the image.

Dave

-Dave
agneshb

Community Trekker

Jan 19, 2014

Dave,

For the squash court the data I'm using are ghosting exercises and the map will help visualize in what quadrant a player get the best performance (and as a result where he needs to improve) and also the improvement over time. The data are collected per quadrant (for a specific duration)

see here MotionSport Tutorials: Ghosting - YouTube

The data are meant to be presented to the players, sometimes young so the map will be a good visualization tool.

Agnès

agneshb

Community Trekker

Jan 19, 2014

Success!! Thanks a lot Dave, the blog was really helpful (and my initial problem was the case you mention about corporate and not being about to save in the map folder). So I used the next solution you gave and it worked.

Next step is to work with my data

Agnes

audrey_shull

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

I created a custom map once for a baseball stadium so I could show a spray chart - which shows where all the balls were hit over the course of a season. It worked well. To create it, I started with a picture of the ballpark which I found easily online. Then I used the Custom Map Creator add-in:

Custom Map Creator

I suggest giving it a try!

Audrey

agneshb

Community Trekker

Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Audrey, I actually tried it but wasn't successful, I'll try again.