cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Sort a matrix

All, 
     Is there a way to achieve functionality similar to what is shown below :

A = [10 -12 4 8; 6 -9 8 0; 2 3 11 -2; 1 1 9 3]

Upon sorting, how can i retain the original positions of the elements ? 

For e.g. if i wanted to sort each column of the matrix, I can only think of doing the following: 

for(i = 1, i <= N cols(A), i ++,
          t = A[0,i]; 
          t1 = sort descending(t); 
    );

Now, how can I determine the original position of the elements and retain them ? 
    https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/sort.html - In Matlab, there is a second argument to the sort function which returns the index 

Similarly in R, you can retain the index. Wondering what is the best way to do that in JMP ?

Best
Uday
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sort a matrix

This adaption should work:

A = [10 -12 4 8; 6 -9 8 0; 2 3 11 -2; 1 1 9 3];

sort matrix = Function( { m }, { t, b=[], i=[] },
For( j = 1, j <= N Cols( m ), j++,
t = A[0,j];
b ||= Sort Descending( t );
i ||= Matrix( Reverse( As List( Rank Index( t ) ) ) );
);
Eval List( { b, i } );
);

{ B, I } = sort matrix( A );

Show( A, B, I );

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

Take a look at "Ranking and Sorting" in the "Data Structures, Matrices" section of the Scripting Guide
Jim
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@txnelson
         I believe you are referring to the content that is also covered here - https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/ranking-and-sorting.shtml . However, this does not expand on capturing the indices that I am looking for while performing the sort. Hopefully, I am not missing something. 

Best
Uday

Um, it is the ranking bit...

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@Mark_Bailey & @txnelson
    I understand that it looks obvious to you that Rank() does what I want, however , here is an example of why I am asking for: 

In Matlab, here is what happen when you try to sort a matrix. Apologies for pulling this example from a different platform, I tried to avoid doing that but I can't think of a better way to explain what I am after. So if you look at the values of  "I", it retains the indices 

image.png

Now, if I wanted to do the exact samething in JMP , is this the way you are recommending me to take, it yes, it doesn't get me the same result. Also, I would appreciate not having to use a loop for something like this

for(i = 1 , i <= N Cols(A), i++,
		t = A[0,i]; 
		t1 = Sort Descending(t); 
		ranks = Rank(t); 
   );

Best
Uday

This adaption should work:

sort matrix = Function( { m }, { t, b=[], i=[] },
For( j = 1, j <= N Cols( m ), j++,
t = A[0,j];
b ||= Sort Descending( t );
i ||= Matrix( Reverse( As List( Rank Index( t ) ) ) );
);
Eval List( { b, i } );
);

{ B, I } = sort matrix( A );

Show( A, B, I );

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@Mark_Bailey
    Thank you. I will submit a request to the wish list to provide a canned function for this.  I hope in the future, JMP will come up with a way to not have to loop through the matrix. I would love to see the apply() function family from R introduced into JMP. 

Best
Uday