cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
robot
Level VI

Solve y = f(y,x)

Hi,

I would like to use JMP to solve for y in an equation of the form y = f(y,x).  A more precise equation is attached.  This problem seem similar to that discussed in Numerical solver add-in, although a clear solution is not mentioned.

In the attached equation, y is response, x is predictor, and a - k are fitting parameters.

What is the best way for JMP to tackle this?  I am using JMP11.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hegedus
Level IV

Re: Solve y = f(y,x)

Hi,

I will make an assumptions: You have a series of data points with both x and y measured.

The way I have handled this in the past since you have an implicit equation, is to recast it as an explicit equation by creating a new function.

If you subtract the left hand elements from both sides you get an equation equal to zero. 

0 = right hand(x,y) -  left hand(x,y)

Now substitute a variable for zero so you have a new equation.

z = right hand(x,y) - left hand(x,y)

Now set Z at all points equal to 0 (zero) and solve as a multi-variable problem.

Caveat I have not done a rigorous error analysis on this technique, but just used in the past with success.

Good Luck.

Andy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Hegedus
Level IV

Hi,

I will make an assumptions: You have a series of data points with both x and y measured.

The way I have handled this in the past since you have an implicit equation, is to recast it as an explicit equation by creating a new function.

If you subtract the left hand elements from both sides you get an equation equal to zero. 

0 = right hand(x,y) -  left hand(x,y)

Now substitute a variable for zero so you have a new equation.

z = right hand(x,y) - left hand(x,y)

Now set Z at all points equal to 0 (zero) and solve as a multi-variable problem.

Caveat I have not done a rigorous error analysis on this technique, but just used in the past with success.

Good Luck.

Andy

robot
Level VI

Thanks Hegedus, that works!