cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
acid1c
Level III

Simulate responses within defined range

I have been using the RANDBETWEEN(min,max) function in excel to generate random simulated responses which I paste into the matrix.

Rather than using the model coefficients to simulate the response variables, can JMP generate "random" numbers within a defined range? What is the drawback of using this method (asides from the obvious - the random values not fitting the model)?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
louv
Staff (Retired)

Re: Simulate responses within defined range

acid1c,

Will this do the trick for you?

9322_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 7.02.31 PM.png

9317_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 6.57.04 PM.png

9319_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 6.56.47 PM.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
louv
Staff (Retired)

acid1c,

Will this do the trick for you?

9322_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 7.02.31 PM.png

9317_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 6.57.04 PM.png

9319_Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 6.56.47 PM.png

acid1c
Level III

Thank you for pointing me in this direction, but I found a better solution. Random Normal is generating numbers with a defined mean and standard deviation. A better choice is to use Random Uniform which generates numbers within a defined min and max range:

Right click on column > Formula > Random > Random Uniform > Random Uniform(min,max)

Random uniform does work well with a defined min and max, but it does not have a peaked shape like a normal distribution. If you want a peaked shape, use the Triangular distribution. It has a defined min and max with a mode or peak.

Dan Obermiller