Our World Statistics Day conversations have been a great reminder of how much statistics can inform our lives. Do you have an example of how statistics has made a difference in your life? Share your story with the Community!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted

Simulate Mouse Clicks on a Chart

Hi - I've created a chart which responds to mouse clicks in a number of ways; that is, several areas of the chart are clickable, and the mouse clicks are detected using the mousetrap functionality within the chart, and interpreted accordingly.  I now want to "pre-record" a sequence of mouse clicks to show in a demo what the effects of a specific sequence of mouse clicks are.  Is it possible to simulate the effect of clicking on a specific pair of {x, y} coordinates on a chart, in the same sort of way that a click can be sent to a button box by using the << click() property?

Many thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
dqr2
Level IV

Re: Simulate Mouse Clicks on a Chart

Hi - I came across the above query when searching for material on simulating mouse clicks on a chart, because I would like to do precisely this.  The original question goes way back to 2012, and was unanswered - but with several new JMP releases in the intervening years, I was wondering if a mechanism has been created to do such a thing since then.  I've created an interactive display within a graph box, and would like if possible to pre-record a series of actions performed on it for a demo.

Many thanks.

Highlighted
vince_faller
Super User

Mousetrap sounds like it's exactly what you want. 

New Window( "Example",
	exx = 20,
	exy = 50;
	Graph Box(
		Frame Size( 200, 200 ),
		Mousetrap(
			exx = x;
			exy = y;
		);
		Circle( {0, 0}, Sqrt( exx * exx + exy * exy ) );
	);
);
Vince Faller - Predictum
Highlighted
vince_faller
Super User

And as soon as I posted this I realized you said simulate, not capture.
Vince Faller - Predictum
Highlighted
dqr2
Level IV

No worries - and I've actually worked out how to do what I want in the meantime. All I need to do is to bundle up everything within the mousetrap function into an expression which I define elsewhere, and then just call that expression as many times as I need from the button which runs the animation, each time setting the values of x and y (which would otherwise be defined by the mouse click) beforehand. I've just finished writing it, and it works perfectly.

Many thanks for your help!

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.