cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jims
Level I

How to Set the Number of Significant Figures

A frustration of mine with JMP is the lack of attention to significant figures with numerical data.  I spend an signficant amount of time  re-formating numerical reports based on the statistics within the report itself.  For example, if a parameter estimate is known to have an uncertainty of plus/minus 1%, then it makes no sense to report  the estimate or the confidence limits beyond three signficant figures.  I consider it a bit embarrasing to report 8 or sometimes 12 signficant figures.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bjbreitling
Level IV

Re: Significant Figures

Double click in the table on the column you want to change. Then change the format to scientific and change the width to the number of significant figures in the calculation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bjbreitling
Level IV

Double click in the table on the column you want to change. Then change the format to scientific and change the width to the number of significant figures in the calculation.

theseventhhill
Level II

is there a way to change the font size, display for the label? sometimes it feels to small and having a hard time spacing it even after rounding the sig digits

txnelson
Super User

The fonts and font sizes are set in the Preferences

File==>Preferences==>Fonts

You can also change the size while you are viewing by using the the key stroke

CNTL/Shift/+   to increase font size, or    CNTL/Shift/-   to reduce font size

Jim
jwiltsie
Level III

I like to use Format -> Precision, then set 'Dec' to number of significant figures you want. This gives the correct number of significant figures but it's not in scientific notation. 

image.png

Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Here's an interesting article: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1301/1301.1034.pdf

I wrote a little script to implement this approach in a function.  Some people don't like the loss of false precision... 

10227_SignificantDigits.jpg