Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
JK
JK
Level II

Significance of polynomial fit

Regression.JPG

Could you check the above result? Is it not signigicant for polynomial (2-degree) regression, right? (p=0.3212) 

Data points are near the polynomial fit line, and R-squared is 98%. However, due to insignificance, in my result, can't I use this polynomial regression? and I have to use simple linear regression? 

Apparently, it seems polynomial regression line is more clear then linear line, but JMP says it's not significant. Could you guide me about this?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Significance of polynomial fit

The human visual system is a wonderful, amazing device. But it is also creative and makes up things that aren't really there. In this case, such a result (curved line) as your sample can easily occur from a linear response. The statistics are not meant to dictate your conclusions but your statistics suggest that the non-linear component has practically no support from the data.

Learn it once, use it forever!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

The human visual system is a wonderful, amazing device. But it is also creative and makes up things that aren't really there. In this case, such a result (curved line) as your sample can easily occur from a linear response. The statistics are not meant to dictate your conclusions but your statistics suggest that the non-linear component has practically no support from the data.

Learn it once, use it forever!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
JK
JK
Level II

Thank you for your reply. I also agree with you. Maybe I wanted to have non-linear model which looks like more supporting my conclusion. As the statistics indicated, I'll use linear model as it is. Many thanks!!!

Sincerely,
JK
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.