cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jan_solo
Level III

Show only 1 limit on the control chart (when there is only one limit).

Hi everyone,

I'm using JMP 11.  Using a script, I build a (generic) control chart to plot our lab test results.  The problem is that I sometimes don't have a upper or lower control limit (e.g.: trace metals: no UCL, Assay: No LCL).  When there is a one-sided limit, I don't want to see the missing limit on the chart for obvious reasons.  How can I remove one limit from the control chart?

Thanks guys,

Jan

8 REPLIES 8
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: Show only 1 limit on the control chart (when there is only one limit).

As far as I know this is not currently supported.

'Control Chart Builder' has an option to suppress the display of the control limits. If you do this 'by hand', you can then reinstate only the required limit with an 'HLine()' graphics script. If doing this routinely, these steps could be scripted.

jan_solo
Level III

I've tried the Control Chart Builder.

This was not the result I was hoping for.  The problem is that, you end up with a bunch of lines and no way to identify what line is what.  You can do this visually, but this has absolutely no scientific value.  Next to it, you get a small table next to chart, with average values and limits.  Since we need to print this on paper, this means that the width of the chart is seriously reduced.

Thanx for the suggestion, but we need a different solution.

Steven_Moore
Level VI

You might be better off using a run chart instead of a control chart anyway.  Just a thought - I have always been a big fan of control charts, but recently, have come to appreciate run charts as well.

Steve
jan_solo
Level III

I've tried this chart, but the limit won't appear on them.  I can put a line on it (I can even define how the line looks like).  But in the end, it's just a line.  As stated above, scientifically useless unless named.

Steven_Moore
Level VI

Jan,

Run charts do not have limits.  The analysis is based on number of runs and length of runs above/below the median.  I recently wrote and article for Quality Digest about run charts which might be useful to you:On Alleviating Tortured Data | Quality Digest

Steve
jan_solo
Level III

In the end, JMP doesn't support one sided limits.  For reporting purposes we wanted to chart to show that the limits are one-sided.  (After all, you cannot have a negative concentration of metals in a solution.)

I divide K_Sigma by 2 in case of a one sided limit.  I manually set the value for the limit to 0.  And I get the control charts with 2 limits :(

I hope that in the future, we get a JMP version that will support scientific statistics.  But for now I guess we'll communicate to our customers that this is the limitation of the JMP-software we use.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

paul_phelan
Level II

Could you just set the Y axis to zero, this would hide the negative control limit.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

JMP 16 (scheduled for March 2021) will support on sided limits in the Control Chart Builder.

-Jeff