cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
john_madden
Level VI

Selecting smoothing parameters

I have a large number of datasets where the abscissa is date/time and the ordinate is some response variable. I want to show variation over time as a smooth curve. I generally adjust the choice of fit type and the fit parameters (e.g. lambda) interactively until I get a smoothed curve that subjectively seems informative or a good fit to me.

But it's wholly subjective. Have statisticians thought through the question of whether there are objective ways of determining an optimum degree of smoothing?

I imagine optimum could be defined in a myriad of different ways, so maybe this isnt so easy to answer. If there is literature on this, I'd be grateful for some pointers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Re: Selecting smoothing parameters

Hi, john_madden!

As you imagine, this isn't such an easy question to answer.

This might not be the best paper with which for you to start, but Grace Wahba has serious spline chops!  She wrote the book on it!!

Good luck.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Hi, john_madden!

As you imagine, this isn't such an easy question to answer.

This might not be the best paper with which for you to start, but Grace Wahba has serious spline chops!  She wrote the book on it!!

Good luck.

john_madden
Level VI

Thanks much Kevin. That paper is obviously pretty technical, but I'm going to see if I can pick some of the more intuitive ideas from it and move on from there as a starting point