Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Select Where crashing JMP

Hegedus

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Building a simple script to import and clean up data.  The open works as expected gives me the data table.  When I add the second command where I am looking for the rows that have the term "Finder" in it to prepare to delete those rows.  When I uncomment that line and run it. JMP crashes. Where am I going wrong?

dt=Open(

(pick file()),

columns(

Column 1 = Character,

Column 2 = Character,

Column 3 = Character,

Nominal = Numeric,

Upper Tol. = Numeric,

Lower Tol. = Numeric,

Name( "1" ) = Numeric

),

Import Settings(

End Of Line( CRLF, CR, LF ),

End Of Field( Comma ),

Strip Quotes( 1 ),

Use Apostrophe as Quotation Mark( 0 ),

Scan Whole File( 1 ),

Labels( 1 ),

Column Names Start( 21 ),

Data Starts( 111 ),

Lines To Read( All ),

Year Rule( "10-90" )

)

);

dt<<Select Where(contains(column(1),"Finder")>0);

//dt<<Delete rows;

I am using JMP 8.0.1 on MacOS X.

5 REPLIES
pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Try using get rows where instead of select where.  This code works in JMP 11; not sure about 8:

found_rows = dt << get rows where(contains(as column(1),"Finder")>0);

if (nrows(found_rows) > 0,

dt << delete rows(found_rows);

);

Hegedus

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Thank you.  Your solution works, but I don't know why. I cannot find any reference to the get rows where in the scripting manual.

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

It's documented in version 11, both in the scripting guide and the scripting index.  Any chance you could upgrade?

Hegedus

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

I am looking at upgrading (I have been a user since version 3).  Curious though I have been using JMP quite a while I have been doing most of my scripted analysis on a different platform and doing it now only to support a client that has settled on JMP, is JMP always so un graceful with error.  It seems an error causes JMP to completely crash instead of giving some error feedback.  That behavior makes developing a script really painful.

martindvorak

Community Trekker

Nov 4, 2013

The stability of JMP and its tendency to crash gracelessly (and irreproducibly) makes me very hesitant to recommend this tool for production/manufacturing environments. My joke is that it help one appreciate the robustness and stability of Microsoft applications like never before. For the price, it's the best choice for my application (data discovery in an engineering environment), but it is very frustrating to work with. And I'm on V11.2.1!