Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Search Points Per Factor

statschic

Community Trekker

Apr 21, 2013

Hi,

I have been having problems relating to Search Points Per Factor in JMP 10 DOE plateform. I am wondering if anyone can help me will be much appreciated.

When adding factors, say a factor where role=continuous, Changes= Easy and Values (range) = 5 to 7. The design output will only include values 5 and 7 whereas I'd like the factor to be of 5 levels, ie for the design to include values 5, 5.5, 6, 6,5, 7. How do I manipulate the number of levels?

In JMP 9 there is an option "Search Points Per Factor" that does it, but it's not available in the pull down manual in JMP 10 but if using script it SOMETIMES work. I can't work out why/when it DOESN'T work. Are there other ways?

Also, Search Points Per Factor applies to all factors in a design. For example, if I have 3 factors, and I might want different numbers of levels for each of the factor, then Search Points Per Factor won't apply. What can I do?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Derchieh

6 REPLIES
mpb

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

In JMP 10, when specifying the factors, you can designate factors as "Discrete Numeric". Each such factor can have its own number of levels. Playing with this may get you what you want.

statschic

Community Trekker

Apr 21, 2013

Yes, but with Discrete Numeric doesn't allow Changes = Hard or Very Hard.

statschic

Community Trekker

Apr 21, 2013

Just tried running the DOE plateform by defining the factors as Discrete Numeric - even though I specified the actual values for it's levels, depending on the model specified, it still doesn't output a design that include all the desired levels. For a model with 2nd order interactions, it still only include the min and max of the range. For more complex models, it does include more levels, but still not all the levels....in any case the models are too complicated for a real life experiment. Soo.....

louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Try entering your 5 level factor as a categorical factor and specify the levels (5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7). Add your other factors and specify the model. That will generate a design that will include your desired levels. Generate the table and change the column info to adjust your factor from categorical to numeric/continuous.

louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Update....

You can use the 5 level discrete numeric factor and obtain all of your levels (5, 5.5, 6, 6.5 and 7) but what you have to be sure to do is change your higher order model terms from "if possible" to "necessary" in the model dialog box before generating the design.

*The discrete numeric does support Change = Hard and Very hard

tillie

Community Member

Jun 17, 2013

Hi,

I've been missing this feature also since I have JMP 10. I looked up some old designs that I made with adjusted search points per factor and looked into the script, you can find the search point per factor at the end of your script before the command Make design.

So you can obtain the same result in JMP 10 by doing the following steps:

1. Make your design, insert your factors and make the table.

2. Open the Design script from the table (click the red triangle of the 'DOE Design' and click edit).

3. At the bottom of your script just before the Make Design command you can insert: search points per factor (5), (don't forget the comma at the end)

4. Run the script, make table and behold!, a new table with multiple levels per factor just like before in JMP 9

Regards

Tillie