Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
TomR
Level I

Scatterplot Matrix - Group doesn't work

Greetings,

I'm having trouble with the Scatterplot Matrix Group option working consistently in JMP 16.0.0. See examples below. It works fine if I group by Species as in the help file example using Iris sample data. But it doesn't work if I use the Fitness sample data, trying to group by Sex. I must be missing something simple here but I can't find it. In both cases I'm using a Character Nominal column as the grouping variable. I got here because it doesn't work in the dataset I'm analyzing and was surprised to quickly find an example datafile that replicates the problem.

Thanks,

Tom

TomR_0-1623272032869.png

TomR_1-1623272110384.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Scatterplot Matrix - Group doesn't work

There might be a misunderstanding of what the Group feature does.

From the JMP help:

Dan_Obermiller_0-1623274115979.png

So it is designed to give you different density ellipses, which I don't see on your pictures. The dots are colored from the Iris data because the row states were already established. I worked with the Fitness data and the grouping worked fine once I asked for the density ellipses.

Capture.PNG

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

There might be a misunderstanding of what the Group feature does.

From the JMP help:

Dan_Obermiller_0-1623274115979.png

So it is designed to give you different density ellipses, which I don't see on your pictures. The dots are colored from the Iris data because the row states were already established. I worked with the Fitness data and the grouping worked fine once I asked for the density ellipses.

Capture.PNG

Dan Obermiller
TomR
Level I

Dan, Your comment about the row states seems to be the clue to making it work. Manually setting the "color or mark by column" feature in the data table is the key. The Group variable isn't needed for simply coloring the points.The density ellipses are indeed another feature, and I'm not needing that right now.

Thanks,

- Tom

TomR_0-1623276973110.png