BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Dr_Anj
New Contributor

Saving as interactive HTML changed map labels from cities to states-- how can this be avoided?

I built a map in Graphbuilder in JMP14, and it looked pretty good.  When I saved it as an interactive HTML file, though, the labels changed.  In Graphbuilder, when I hovered over a point, the labels gave the data for that point (city location).  In the interactive HTML file, though, the labels went by state (the background map) not city (the points).  Is there any way to get the labels to remain associated with the points (not the map) in the interactive HTML file?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Saving as interactive HTML changed map labels from cities to states-- how can this be avoided?

Can you share your data or provide someway to recreate the problem?  It is hard to provide feedback, a point's tooltip should take precedence over the shape.

0 Kudos
Dr_Anj
New Contributor

Re: Saving as interactive HTML changed map labels from cities to states-- how can this be avoided?

Problem_desription.PNG

In the example shown above, I hovered over the city of Minneapolis.  I would like the labels, when I hover over the city, to have the name of just the one city, and the associated Number, State and Rate.  In HTML verision of this graph, though, the labels list all the Minnesota cities and their associated values, which isn't useful.

Thank you for the detailed information, I am asking the developer who specifically works on points and maps in Interactive HTML to take a look at this.

0 Kudos

Did you create this interactively in JMP, or is it generated from a script?  Could you share the JSL for making this (Red Triangle Menu > Save Script > To Script Window)?  Even if you can't share the data, we could try to recreate using a similar sample data set and get an answer on whether it has been fixed (we do have a similar defect) or a workaround.

0 Kudos
Dr_Anj
New Contributor

Graph Builder(
Size( 570, 649 ),
Variables(
X( :City Longitude ),
Y( :City Latitude ),
Color( :Rate ),
Size( :Number ),
Shape( :State )
),
Elements(
Map Shapes( Size( 0 ), Legend( 17 ) ),
Points( X, Y, Color( 0 ), Shape( 0 ), Legend( 19 ) )
),
SendToReport(
Dispatch( {"Map Shapes"}, "", OutlineBox, {Close( 0 )} ),
Dispatch( {"Points"}, "", OutlineBox, {Close( 0 )} ),
Dispatch(
{},
"City Longitude",
ScaleBox,
{Min( -120.462328767123 ), Max( -74.5376712328767 ), Inc( 10 ),
Minor Ticks( 0 )}
),
Dispatch(
{},
"City Latitude",
ScaleBox,
{Min( 10.3253424657534 ), Max( 64.6746575342466 ), Inc( 5 ),
Minor Ticks( 1 )}
)
)
);

Thank you, with the JSL I was able to recreate it using the Cities sample data set, and have created a defect for it that we will look into fixing.  In the meantime, maybe there is a workaround that would help you out.  A couple of ideas:

1. If the map colors are not needed, a background map can be used instead of the map role.
  2. If the map colors are required, but the map tooltips are not needed, it may be possible to captured an image of the map and bring it in as a background image(proper alignment could be tricky)

Would either of these be useful?

0 Kudos
Dr_Anj
New Contributor

Thank you for looking into it and creating the defect. Unfortunately, I need both the map colors and the tooltips. I'm exploring how to build the figure in R instead, though a JMP GraphBuilder interactive HTML would have been much simpler if it had not had this flaw.
0 Kudos

@John_Powell_JMP has fixed this defect for JMP 15, although it will still be an issue in JMP 14, even the latest maintenance relase 14.3 since we didn't find out about it in time to address it there.  I have sent you a private message with some further details which might help.  Thank you again for reporting it so we could improve Interactive HTML!

Josh is being modest. He did most of the work. Thanks!  

0 Kudos