cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
afterword
Level IV

Saving an Empty Table with JSL

I'm opening several tables from a database, and then saving those into CSV files. The script works fine as long as the table has data, but empty tables (which I also want to save to show that they're empty) give me this error:

Data table is empty.

The file could not be saved.
Unable to save file.{2}

I can manually save the tables in JMP format, but not as a text export. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
JensRiege
Level IV

Re: Saving an Empty Table with JSL

If you use the 'Is Empty()' function you can use an if statement to only save the data when the table is not empty:
Example:

dt = Open( "Path\DataTable" );
If( Is Empty( dt ), 
// Then Do this if the table is not empty:
	dt << Save( "Path\DataTable" )
// Else Do nothing
	Print( "the table is empty and will not be saved" )
);
Craige_Hales
Super User

@chungwei 

I recently stumbled into this error message and was quite surprised.

Then I realized I'd made a new table with only the default "Column 1" and no rows.

I would prefer the table be saved as an empty table, but in my case the solution was as simple as naming the only column when I created the table.

The original report was apparently doing something other than the NewTable() function, so naming the column might have been harder.

sentinelDt = New Table( "sentinel", "private", New Column( "a") ); // needs a col name to save it with no rows!
sentinelDt << save( root || sentinelName );

Craige
JensRiege
Level IV

After some further reading in the forum I realized that the Is Empty() function does not say whether the table has data in it... I saw a comment that it is better to use N Row (dt) to do this:

If( N Row( dt ) == 0, 
    // then
	Print( "Data table is empty" );

// else
	Print( "Data table is not empty" );
);