Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Residuals save as zero, should be .00005 (is JMP rounding?)

lizstatistics

Community Member

Mar 7, 2015

Is there some setting that would round the residuals down to zero? I'm having trouble because I do a full factor analysis, save the residuals, and they're all zero. They should be in the neighborhood of .00005 to .00010

1 REPLY
julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Hi lizstatistics,

Without knowing more about your data it's hard to guess what is happening here, but I can tell you that JMP will not round the saved residuals from your model. Can you describe your data a bit more, and why you expect residuals around 0.00005?

Here are some guesses: It is possible that the saved column is not displaying that many decimal places (though it should) -- if for some reason that's the case, you can change the number of decimal places displayed by right-clicking the column > Column Info, and then select "Fixed Dec" under formatting, and enter a value more than 6 for decimal places. By default you should have well more than that displayed, so I don't think that's the issue

Another guess: When you fit this model, is your R^2 = 1 (in the Summary of Fit table)? It could be that you have have a model in as many parameters as you have data points, resulting in a model that fits the data perfectly, resulting in residuals that are all 0. If that's the case you will need to remove some some of the higher-order interactions since you don't have the data to estimate those independent of error.

I hope this helps!

julian