cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
natalie_
Level V

Removing values from a column

Hi All,

I would like to remove values from a column.  Normally, I would use a range check column property to do this, but with this particular column, it is also dependendent on another column's value.  Is there an easy way to do this?

I tried the code below, but unfortunately it makes the entire column blank except for the first row.  I thought this might work because the "." represents missing values.  The data and modeling types are numeric and continuous.

For(i=1, i<=NRows(dt), i++,

If(dt:Col 1[i] < someValue, If(dt:Col 2[i]==1,  ,dt:Col 1[i] = "."),dt:Col 1[i] = ".");

);

3 REPLIES 3
natalie_
Level V

Re: Removing values from a column

I found a way to make it work, but I don't know how efficient it is.  I saved the values from the columns to lists, deleted the one column, made a new column, and added the passed values to the new column.  If it wasn't a passed observation, it wasn't add and the entry in that cell is simply a "."

idList = List();
idList = As List(:Col X<< get values);
idLogic = List();
idLogic = As List(:Col Y<<get values);

dt << New Column("Col X", Numeric, Continuous);

For(i=1, i<=N Rows(dt), i++,

If(idList[i] < someValue, If(idLogic[i]==1,dt:Col X[i] = idList[i],),);

);

txnelson
Super User

Natalie,

I believe that from an efficiency standpoint, this will do what you want

dt << select rows where( Not( dt:Col 1 < someValue & dt:Col 2 == 1 ) );
dt:Col 1[dt << get selected rows] = "";
Jim
natalie_
Level V

That's a good idea, too!  Thank you for your help.