cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
bobzsun
Level I

Remove jitter when creating custom error bars in Graph Builder

I'm creating custom error bars using existing summary data using the method described here.

When I am just using one group of data, and adding a line to connect data points, things work as expected:

no jitter.png

However, when I overlay multiple groups of data, the "bars" (the error bars) automatically jitter for every x-value so that they don't sit on top of each other:

jitter.png

You can see that because of the jitter, the line no longer goes through the point in the error bar. More importantly, because this is longitudinal data, the jitter gives the impression that the x-values for the overlaid data are different, when in fact they are the same.

I'v already tried removing the midpoint of the error bar and instead plotting it separately as a "point," but that doesn't work, because while it causes the line to go through the point, it still has jittered error bars.

Is there a way of removing the jitter for these summary data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bobzsun
Level I

Re: Remove jitter when creating custom error bars in Graph Builder

I contacted JMP support directly, who were very responsive but ultimately gave me bad news:

"Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way to create the same custom error bars plot with summary data using an overlay variable."

So it seems like this is only possible if you have the raw data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bobzsun
Level I

I contacted JMP support directly, who were very responsive but ultimately gave me bad news:

"Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way to create the same custom error bars plot with summary data using an overlay variable."

So it seems like this is only possible if you have the raw data.

whitelampe
Level II

There is an easier option - even without the jitter-problem when you use an additional overlay variable. First create a column for lower and the upper value each (as descripted above). Then stack the data (central point, upper value, lower value). Open graph-builder and add the stacked data to the y-axis. Then choose summary statistic "mean" and Error bars "range". That's it. Even without the jitter problem! Good luck :)
Nick_PV_tech
Level II

I tried this solution and it worked. Thank you!