Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Refreshing a machine data source without losing scripts saved to table (again)

dsmall2112

Community Trekker

Jul 22, 2015

This is a repeat of another discussion by CoryC (#171874, never answered) on SAS Communities....I am reposting to JMP Community (as I gather JMP discussions may have switched boards) - thanks Reeza!.

I have a JMP (v10.0.2) project that sources a table via ODBC (to SQL Server database).  I have built numerous scripts (plots and charts) in my project.

Ideally, I'd like to just click "refresh" (e.g. right-click above the "Source" script) and have the data refresh.  It would be super-sweet to have the Scripts also refresh (or a quick option to do so upon data refresh).

However, the only way I know how to "refresh" the data is to edit/run the "Source" script which pulls the data.  Unfortunately, rather than refresh the data "in place", JMP creates a brand new JMP project with the refresh data (and none of the other chart/plot scripts are there).  So, I end up creating those scripts from scratch on the new JMP project.

There's got to be a better way to do this!  There may be a better workaround than what I'm doing.  Thanks for any suggestions.

2 REPLIES
Wendy_Murphrey

Jun 23, 2011

Beginning with JMP 11, when you import data from a database a table script is added to the new JMP table called 'Update From DB'.  This table script uses the new Update From Database() JSL function to connect to the database and refresh the data.  Unfortunately, this option was not yet available in JMP 10.  I would encourage you to download the trial version to test out all the new features for connecting to a database.  You can request the 30-day trial from the JMP website:

http://www.jmp.com/trial

Hope that helps!

Wendy

Wendy
dsmall2112

Community Trekker

Jul 22, 2015

thanks Wendy, that perfectly answers my question.  Fortunately we do plan to migrate to later version so appreciate knowing my scenario is addressed.

I will say my work-around isn't "too difficult". Basically, I "run" the Data Table script (creates new JMP project with refreshed data), rename the Data table (to be same as in original JMP project), then copy/paste the graph scripts from old project into the new project.  This seems to work and isn't too much trouble. Not so sure if I have more complex JMP project (models, etc.) if it's that easy.