Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Zihao
Level II

Reference for new column generated by FitMode-SaveColumn

Hi,

I am trying to get the name of the residual column generated by fit model in JSL. That way, I can scale up the residual by 1000 in the following line. Here is my script. 

Model = Fit Model(
	Y( :Raw Leveling ),
	Effects( 
	:Xa, 
	:Ya,
	Transform Column( "Xa^2", Formula( :Xa * :Xa ) ),
	Transform Column( "Ya^2", Formula( :Ya * :Ya ) ),
	Transform Column( "Xa*Ya", Formula( :Xa * :Ya ) ) 
	),
	Personality( "Standard Least Squares" ),
	Emphasis( "Minimal Report" ),
	Run
);
Model << Residuals;
New Column("Residual (nm)", formula(Column(10)[]*1000));

Now I have to use column # to do the scale up. If I can get the column name of the residual column(generated with Model << Residuals), the script could be applied to a different table, and I don't have to change the column # manually.

This is also related to a more general question. How can I get a reference to the column automatically generated by JMP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Reference for new column generated by FitMode-SaveColumn

Hi @Zihao,

I don't know of a way to pull a column reference from the residual message itself, but since the saved column will always be the last in the table what I've done in this kind of situation is make a variable reference to the final column based on the number of columns in the table. Something like the following:

dt = current data table();
lastColumn = column(nCols(dt));

Perhaps that will work in your situation so you won't need to hardcode a column number? So, in your case, a simple way to make the new column based on the above would be:

New Column("Residual (nm)", SetEachValue(lastColumn[]*1000));

I hope this helps,

@julian

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @Zihao,

I don't know of a way to pull a column reference from the residual message itself, but since the saved column will always be the last in the table what I've done in this kind of situation is make a variable reference to the final column based on the number of columns in the table. Something like the following:

dt = current data table();
lastColumn = column(nCols(dt));

Perhaps that will work in your situation so you won't need to hardcode a column number? So, in your case, a simple way to make the new column based on the above would be:

New Column("Residual (nm)", SetEachValue(lastColumn[]*1000));

I hope this helps,

@julian

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Zihao
Level II

Hi Julian

Thanks for sharing your idea.

Yes, one alternative way would be just using the total number of columns to point to the last column.

Another idea I have is Can I assign a column name when it is generated by the Fit Model function? That would also be easy to customize the script.

Thanks!

-Zihao

Highlighted
ih
ih
Level VII

Functions might make this sort of thing feel more straightforward if doing this more than once in a script.  Expanding on @julian's answer:

//Saves residuals column and returns reference to column
SaveResiduals = function({mdl}, 
	mdl << Residuals;
	dt = mdl << get data table;
	column( nCols( dt ) );
);

rescol = SaveResiduals(Model);
rescol << Set Name("Residuals");
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.