Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Red triangles disappear from outline items in journal

mdawson69

Community Trekker

Aug 26, 2015

I​ have recently started playing with journals to keep a record of some of my results for large reports. Typically, I create a summary in Excel, particularly as I often need to touch up JMP graphs before using them in reports; I sent suggestions to JMP Support some time ago about how they can improve the user’s ability to set graphing parameters and make those settings more consistent across MP platforms. Anyway, I have noticed that JMP will loose the red triangles on outline items in the journal (see below).

12670_Journal.png

In this journal, nearly all of the outline levels added by me have somehow lost their red triangles with the exception of the FDE outline item at the bottom—which I added just before taking the screenshot—the only outline items that have retained their triangles are those items added to the journal from platform reports.

How do I get the red triangles back or better, prevent them from disappearing in the first place?

3 REPLIES
Dan_Obermiller

Apr 3, 2013

The red triangles of a journal will usually "disappear" once you close the journal and re-open it. Although you don't see them, everything is still available. Right-click on the title bar of the item you wish to modify and choose Append Item and you will see all of the red triangle options.

Dan Obermiller
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

DanO​ is right.

The thinking here is that there's an active "creation" phase with Journals and then a "consumption" phase. JMP presumes that during creation, as you add outline nodes the menus are used more often and need to be visible.

When you're "consuming" the journal, e.g. using it for presentation, the menus are distracting, so they are removed. All of the options are still available with right click on the outline node though.

JMP uses the closing and reopening as the signal that you're done creating the journal and are ready to use it.

-Jeff

-Jeff
mdawson69

Community Trekker

Aug 26, 2015

Thanks for the responses guys. This makes sense given the ultimate goal for journals, it just becomes annoying for me because this journal will take days to build from the ongoing analyses. It would not be a problem were it not for JMP’s behavior in my Windows virtual machine. Unfortunately, if I do not save a close JMP documents (tables, journals, etc.) before suspending the VM at the end of the workday, JMP will give me an I/O error the next time I attempt to save changes to an open table. The only other Windows application that seems to have this issue is Outlook. It seems that the file paths are lost for these two applications during the suspension process.