Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
hardner
Level V

RGet() error: Data type is not supported

I'm getting this Data Type is Not Supported error trying to pull an R dataframe into JMP using RGet().  As in  "dt=R Get(df);"

The data types of the columns in the dataframe are all either character or numeric as reported by R.  I'm going to start trying to sift though the haystack to see what specific entries are apparently causing this problem on the assumption it's something in one particular data entry.. 

But wondering whether there are some usual suspects or whether I can get advice on R code for cleansing the dataframe to make JMP consistently happy (I'm much more experienced in JSL than R). Maybe this is a routine happening and there is some sharable code to fix it up?

The context is using ROracle to pull data into the dataframe.  I can see this work just in R it creates an apparently unproblematic data frame and the same SQL makes an unobjectionable data table in JMP when used with OpenDatabase().  My JSL/R combo does work for some other example SQL as well, just certain ones give the error.   So apparently if there is some fishy character in the original Oracle table that JMP doesn't like but R is OK with then OpenDatabase() is coping with it in a way RGet() does not?

Appreciate any tips for troubleshooting this problem...

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: RGet() error: Data type is not supported

@hardner
        If there is a problem with the data that you are pulling and you are more experienced in JSL than R, I would think it would be easier to identify the source of the error using JMP than bring R into the mix. I have used R in JMP 13 when JMP did not have a well defined API calling and handling ability which was fixed in JMP 14. 

Now, let us look at the data that you are pulling which seems to be causing issues. When you say, it only happens with some queries, do you know if it happens:  

1. When you try to query from a specific table ? 
2. Can you try isolating the issue to a column or a combination of columns in your data table? 

If you can isolate the issue in your source data, then it would be possible to build conditions to filter those rows out in SQL and continue to be able to query the data using JMP. While I am not opposed to the idea of using the JMP - R interface, given the problem, I am inclined to believe that this approach might give you speedy results. 

Best
Uday
Highlighted
hardner
Level V

Thanks!

Just to clarify, I'm not going to R to try to work around this problem.  I'm trying to query through R for speed, or at least to investigate slowness with OpenDatabase() ODBC query.  Despite this data type problem I can see that the queries I'm interested in are 4-5X faster with ROracle than OpenDatabase().

There is no Data Type problem with the data as queried through JMP OpenDatabase(), only when using R Get() to retrieve the dataframe that came from ROracle dbGetQuery(). ?

I am however planning to try to figure out which particular cols or cells are creating the problem.  And agree this new problem might mean JMP-R connection not a good solution to my speed issue.  It's got other issues as an actual solution, like users of my scripts needing to get R and install packages, etc.  But it's tantalizing (maddening?)  that ROracle as well as Benthic Golden can query my data much faster...

Highlighted
hardner
Level V

Actually the thing I'm trying next is having R save the data as a csv file and then opening it in JMP.  Both as a possible solution and because maybe that way I'll still have trouble opening the data in JMP but it will be easier to tell exactly where in the file the problem is without R expertise.

Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

It sounds like this is an issue that really needs to be addressed to the JMP folks.  Such a descrepancy is something I assume they would want to work on.  Therefore, I suggest you address the issue directly to the JMP Support Team

support@jmp.com

Jim
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.