Our World Statistics Day conversations have been a great reminder of how much statistics can inform our lives. Do you have an example of how statistics has made a difference in your life? Share your story with the Community!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
shoffmeister
Level IV

Question on REML estimation for loglinear Variance Models

Hi JMPers!

I'm trying to get a deeper understanding of the loglinear variance models. Therefore I used the InjectionMolding-example from the JMP-documentation. Working with JMP I am able to reproduce the results from the website, of course.

Additionally I implemented an ML-estimator (based on the Harvey-paper) in R. Further I tried the remlscore function from the statmod-package in R (REML estimation like Smyth 2002 describes it). The funny result is, that I get quite similar results with both functions in R for the estimated residual variance (~1.88, ~1.9) but that number is pretty different in JMP: ~6.69.

Now I was curious if this is just some difference in the parametrization? All other numbers match quite nicely.

Here is the R-code, if it helps:

library(statmod)

# Sample Data

d = read.csv("Desktop/InjectionMolding.csv")

x = cbind(rep(1, nrow(d)), d[,c(2, 3)], d[,2]*d[,3]) # MoldTemp, Screw.Speed, 2FI

x = apply(x, 2, as.numeric)

z = d[,4] # Hold.Time

z = cbind(rep(1, length(z)), z)

y = d[,9] # Shrinkage

y = as.matrix(y)

colnames(x) = c("Const", "MoldTemp", "ScrewSpeed", "MoldXScrew")

colnames(z) = c("Const", "HoldTime")

colnames(y) = c("Strength")

reml_est = remlscore(y=y,X=x,Z=z)

reml_est

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.