Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Question about R scripts

dale_lehman

Community Trekker

Jan 29, 2015

I am just starting to explore potential R-JMP integrations.  I noticed that JSL scripts can be saved as R scripts, but I can't figure out what exactly that means.  When I save a script as an R script and try to run it in R, I get a large number of errors.  I am not proficient in R, but it appears to me that the format of the script does not conform to what R requires (syntax, etc.).  At this point, my question is quite basic:  what does it mean when I save a script as an R script?  Is it suppsoed to be recognizable to R?  If not, what is the purpose of that option?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

I believe that all that means is that you can save your JSL that interfaces to R with the extension ".R".  It does not mean it can run as an R program

Jim
dale_lehman

Community Trekker

Jan 29, 2015

If that is the case, it has to be the most useless feature in JMP.  In fact, I'm surpirsed they put that "functionality" in there at all.

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

I must admit that I am JMP centric, so I see being able to use the JMP JSL editor for my R programs, without having to change the extension just so JMP can see them is rather convenient.  But, I do admit, it isn;t a feature that will sell many copies of JMP

Jim
ih

Contributor

Sep 30, 2016

You can use the script editor to write and edit R scripts yourself; I believe that is why the 'Save As' feature is there.  I do not believe JMP attempts to do any conversion between JSL and R.