Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Query about Response Screening

rexneal

Community Trekker

Jun 27, 2016

I have an interactive database of 67 gene levels in multiple specimens ~100. These genes were chosen for probable activity. Many of the genes are interactive with others. I am trying to determine the best group of genes that correlate with each individual gene. Using various platforms (predictor screening utility, boosted tree/forest in partition, response screening in modeling, and screening in modeling), I get a similar hierarchy of genes, which make biological sense. However, using response screening in fit model, I get a very different hierarchy, which makes much less biological sense. Any ideas why the response screening in fit model is so different.

Thanks, Neal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Thanks so much. this is very helpful. Partial least squares works well. My query is why does the response screening in the fit model platform differ from the response screening in the model platform?

4 REPLIES
Steven_Moore

Super User

Jun 4, 2014

Have you tried Neural Networks?  I would definitely do that as one of my first steps.  Also Partial Least Squares.  I would do these and several other methods, like the ones you mentioned, and determine which method gives the best Actual vs. Predicted results, with the best RMSE.  Hope this helps.

Steve
Solution

Thanks so much. this is very helpful. Partial least squares works well. My query is why does the response screening in the fit model platform differ from the response screening in the model platform?

Steven_Moore

Super User

Jun 4, 2014

Rex,  I think the answer lies in the fact that Fit Model platforms tend to give results that give the best fit (lowest RMSE) calculated from the data after the fact.  Other methods are designed to give the best predictive model rather that the best fitted model.

Steve
rexneal

Community Trekker

Jun 27, 2016

Thanks so much