Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Proc Cluster vs JMP Clustering

xman

Community Member

Jan 19, 2013

Hi,

My query is on the differences between Proc Cluster and the Clustering procedures in JMP.

I clustered about 50K data points, 13 variables, using the ward method into 5 clusters using both JMP and Proc Cluster. I noticed that there were quite a few differences between the two, namely-

1. Jmp is blazingly fast. It takes about 3 hours for SAS to process my 50K dataset, whereas Jmp takes about... 3 minutes?!!

2. The results don't match very well... the 5 clusters I got from both the programs were very different. to start with the number of points falling in each cluster were way different.

3. This might be specific to the dataset I am using, but Jmp clusters are much more interpretable (i.e. cleanly separated)  as compared to the ones from Proc Cluster.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on how JMP differs from SAS Proc Cluster, especially with regards to point 1 (speed)

Edit:- Just so you know, The proc Cluster was running on a server ('SPDS') with some 16GB RAM, 'evil fast processor',  the works, whereas Jmp was running on a laptop with 1GB of RAM, . So it doesn't look like a problem with the pagination etc.

Thanks in advance,

XM