Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Problems connecting to Excel sheet

Hi,

Does anybody konw why a certain sheet from an Excel workbook might not open in JMP using the Database connection method. We found that certain sheets in an Excel book didn't open where others did. We shortened the name of the sheets and took out obscure characters from the name. It seemed to work then. Just wondering of anyone knows more about this so we can avoid in the future.

Thanks,

Phil

4 REPLIES
joneseven

Community Trekker

Dec 4, 2011

Hi,

Which version of JMP you use? Usually, JMP 8 and JMP 9 open Excel easily.Do not double click the Excel sheet  which you want when you use datebase connection .

JMP 9.

We have an Excel workbook with 3 sheets in it. 1 of them opened with no problem. 2 of them did not. I want to know why. As I say, we shortened the names of the sheets and got rid of characters like %,$ and they opened. I would like know what it was that stopped them from opening in the first place so that we can prevent these problems in future. 

joneseven

Community Trekker

Dec 4, 2011

Unfortunately, I use datebase connection method open the Excel which  has a sheet named  "$120328--D--3-1" ,perhaps reinstalling your JMP will help you. You can copy the contents of Excel and open the new date table of JMP ,and then "edit---paste with colum names",if you can not use with JMP

good luck!

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Maybe you need to upgrade the ODBC driver? System requirements for JMP state "UNICODE compliant ODBC 3.0 or higher" is required for database connection.

Also, in the JMP konwledge base there has been some problem reports regarding database connectection and 64-bit ODBC drivers. I have no idea if those bugs are related to your problem.