cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ahartung
Level I

Problem with adjusting number of levels for group Y in graph builder

I have a problem with adjusting number of levels for group Y in graph builder. I have 70 levels and would like to display all of them in the y group on the right side. I choose to show all levels and "number of levels" as 7 because I would like it to display it in sets of 10 (1-10, 11-20, 21-30, etc. up to 61-70) It always gives me some odd arrangement of the levels: 1-9, 9-18, 18-26, 26-32, 32-39, 39-45, 45-70. I would need this in a symmetrical arrangement. How can I achieve this? Thank you!

11565_pastedImage_1.png

2 REPLIES 2
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Problem with adjusting number of levels for group Y in graph builder

The Graph Builder X and Y Group levels for a continuous column are based on quantiles to get an even distribution of rows in each group.

If you want to define the groups yourself, you've got a couple of options.

1. You can create a column that defines the groups. You can use the Formula Editor and an If conditional to define them. Or you can download the Interactive Binning​ add-in and use that to create the column for you.
  2. You can change the Modeling Type of the column to Nominal or Ordinal and then use a Value Label property with ranges to define the groups.

There are probably some other ways to tackle this too, but maybe this will get you started.

-Jeff
ahartung
Level I

Re: Problem with adjusting number of levels for group Y in graph builder

Thank you, Jeff. I made a new column with the labels and displayed this column instead. It shows now what I wanted to see!

Thanks a lot!