Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Problem opening date column when loading large CSV file

ileshem

Occasional Contributor

Jun 13, 2017

Hey again,

I have a problem, when I try to open CSV file (above ~5mb) I get an JMP alert: "Name Unresolved: Date_Display in access evaluation of 'Date_Display' , Date_Display/*###*/".

the walkaround that I found is to open the file in excel first and change the colmun format to TIME, then open it in JMP.

I attached my import setting. 

Is there any other solution inside JMP?

Thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES
Craige_Hales

Staff

Mar 21, 2013

Look in the JMP log; I think something else has happened. It sounds like there is a script running that is trying to use the imported file and is expecting a column named Date_Display. The message says that name was not found. 

If there is a log message, it might tell you what happened to prevent the file from opening correctly.

Craige
ileshem

Occasional Contributor

Jun 13, 2017

You are right, my mistake. I got the wrong error, 

the correct error is :

"Invaild data encountered while importing ADS_BEGIN_DATE 

13964 values were set to missing

Try importing the data again, but explicity set the Data 

Type of those columns to Character. "

Craige_Hales

Staff

Mar 21, 2013

Not sure what your method for starting the CSV import is; you might be using drag-and-drop or File->Open or JSL. With File->Open you can choose the previewer and set the format for the date columns

Choosing m/d/y or d/m/y or y/m/d formatsChoosing m/d/y or d/m/y or y/m/d formats

Once the file is imported, you can use the source script for subsequent imports

Imported table includes a source script you can editImported table includes a source script you can edit

The source script looks like this

Source script for an imported CSV file can specify formatsSource script for an imported CSV file can specify formats

You can copy that script and use it next time. The script will be faster than File->Open because it specifies everything about the file. File->Open, on the other hand, must look through the data to decide how many columns and what data types. Drag and Drop is similar to File->Open, without the chance to use the preview.

Craige