cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
vjalvim
Level I

Plotting lower / upper limits and average in a control chart

Hi guys,

I would like to know if it is possible to plot the lower , upper and average values direct in the control chart (created by control chart builder) instead of Show Limit Summaries table.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: Plotting lower / upper limits and average in a control chart

Very nice Jim!

I took the liberty of adding to your code so that there is a separate graphics script for each annotation:

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 09.42.20.png

This makes it possible to move the annotations 'by hand' to avoid any collisions (Right-click on the graphics box, select 'Customize' and edit the x and y values in the scripts to taste).

Names Default To Here( 1 );

// Open the sample data table
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\Quality Control\Pickles.jmp" );

// There isn't an adequate column to be used as a Phase column in the sample
// data table, so create one
dt << New Column( "MyPhase", character, formula( Char( Floor( Row() / 13 + 1 ) ) ) );

// Run the control Chart
ct = dt << Control Chart(
	Phase( :MyPhase ),
	Group Size( 1 ),
	KSigma( 3 ),
	Chart Col( :Acid, Individual Measurement( Phase Level( "1" ), Phase Level( "2" ) ), Moving Range( Phase Level( "1" ), Phase Level( "2" ) ) )
);

// Create a list called byPhase of the each of the Phase values
Summarize( dt, byPhase = by( :MyPhase ) );

// Find the max row for each phase to determine the X position on the chart
// for the placement of the text values
PhaseMaxRowList = {};
For( i = 1, i <= N Items( byPhase ), i++,
	Insert Into( PhaseMaxRowList, Max( dt << get rows where( :MyPhase == byPhase[i] ) ) )
);

// Add the text to the chart
framebox = Report( ct )[frame box( 1 )];
addTxt = Expr(
			framebox << Add Graphics Script(
						Description( scriptNameTBD ),
						Text Color( "Black" );	
						Text( Center Justified, {xTBD - 2, yTBD + .1}, txtTBD );
						);
			);
// Loop across the phases and add the 3 text values by pulling their values from the table
// and reformating the values
	LCL = (Report( ct )["Individual Measurement of Acid"][Number Col Box( i )] << get)[1];
	LCLtxt = "LCL=" || Format( LCL, "Fixed Dec", 5, 2 );
	Avg = (Report( ct )["Individual Measurement of Acid"][Number Col Box( i + N Items( byPhase ) )] << get)[1];
	Avgtxt = "Avg=" || Format( Avg, "Fixed Dec", 5, 2 );
	UCL = (Report( ct )["Individual Measurement of Acid"][Number Col Box( i + (N Items( byPhase ) * 2) )] << get)[1];
	UCLtxt = "UCL=" || Format( UCL, "Fixed Dec", 5, 2 );
	// Use a separate graphics script for each annotation so that they are more easily moved 'by hand'
	Eval(Substitute(NameExpr(addTxt), Expr(scriptNameTBD), "LCL Text "||Char(i), Expr(xTBD), PhaseMaxRowList[i], Expr(yTBD), LCL, Expr(txtTBD), LCLtxt));
	Eval(Substitute(NameExpr(addTxt), Expr(scriptNameTBD), "Avg Text "||Char(i), Expr(xTBD), PhaseMaxRowList[i], Expr(yTBD), Avg, Expr(txtTBD), Avgtxt));
	Eval(Substitute(NameExpr(addTxt), Expr(scriptNameTBD), "UCL Text "||Char(i), Expr(xTBD), PhaseMaxRowList[i], Expr(yTBD), UCL, Expr(txtTBD), UCLtxt));
);

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
ian_jmp
Staff

You could double-click on the vertical axis and add refernece lines, or add a custom graphics script to the graph box by right-clicking on this. For the second option, do 'Help > Scripting Index' and search for 'H Line'. 

vjalvim
Level I

Hi, thanks for quick answer.

I think I'm not so clear in my explanation. I need to plot the values for lower, upper and average lines.

See below the example that I'm looking for. In the left, the software that I used in the past.

If I can plot the values from Show Summaries Limits table, I can remove the table to report (the best layout to put in a presentation).

charts.png

ian_jmp
Staff

I'm the one who mis-understood. This topic has come up before.

txnelson
Super User

The values can be added to the chart.  If there are not phases, the values are displayed as part of the chart

annotate2.PNG

But if the data has phases, the values, as you are pointing out are in a table next to the chart, and you want them on the chart.  If your old software allowed you to manually add the values, then you can do the same within JMP by just annotating the chart

annotate.PNG

If you need this programatically done, then a script could be used to simply read the values from the displayed table and placed onto the IR chart.  

I noticed in your example from your old software, that only one set of limits were displayed, even though it appeared that there were different phases.  Was that because the limits were the same for all phases?

Jim
vjalvim
Level I

Hi again,

So, the old software that I used in the past is Minitab.

Answering your question, the values are ploted automatically from the software and also by phase (see the picture below).

In the example that I shared before, there isn't phases.

I know I've assked too much but could you give me direction about how to include these actions (remove table and plot values in the charts) using script? 

Thanks again.

chart.png

txnelson
Super User

Here is a very rough script that will pull the values from the limits table, and place them on the chart. I suggest that you take the time to read the Scripting Guide using the code below to learn exactly how the code does what it does.

Help==>Books==>Scripting Guide

controlchart.PNG

dt << New Column( "MyPhase", character, formula( Char( Floor( Row() / 13 + 1 ) ) ) );

// Run the control Chart
	Group Size( 1 ),
	KSigma( 3 ),
	Chart Col( :Acid, Individual Measurement( Phase Level( "1" ), Phase Level( "2" ) ), Moving Range( Phase Level( "1" ), Phase Level( "2" ) ) )
);

PhaseMaxRowList = {};
	Insert Into( PhaseMaxRowList, Max( dt << get rows where( :MyPhase == byPhase[i] ) ) )
);

Text Color( "Black" );

// Loop across the phases and add the 3 text values by pulling their values from the table
		LCL = (Report( ct )["Individual Measurement of Acid"][Number Col Box( i )] << get)[1];
		Avg = (Report( ct )["Individual Measurement of Acid"][Number Col Box( i + N Items( byPhase ) )] << get)[1];
		UCL = (Report( ct )["Individual Measurement of Acid"][Number Col Box( i + (N Items( byPhase ) * 2) )] << get)[1];

Text( Center Justified, {PhaseMaxRowList[i] - 2, LCL + .1}, LCLtxt );
		Text( Center Justified, {PhaseMaxRowList[i] - 2, Avg + .1}, Avgtxt );
		Text( Center Justified, {PhaseMaxRowList[i] - 2, UCL + .1}, UCLtxt );
	);
);
Jim
ian_jmp
Staff

Very nice Jim!

I took the liberty of adding to your code so that there is a separate graphics script for each annotation:

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 09.42.20.png

This makes it possible to move the annotations 'by hand' to avoid any collisions (Right-click on the graphics box, select 'Customize' and edit the x and y values in the scripts to taste).

// Run the control Chart
	Group Size( 1 ),
	KSigma( 3 ),
);

PhaseMaxRowList = {};
);

addTxt = Expr(
						Description( scriptNameTBD ),
						Text Color( "Black" );	
						Text( Center Justified, {xTBD - 2, yTBD + .1}, txtTBD );
						);
			);
	// Use a separate graphics script for each annotation so that they are more easily moved 'by hand'
	Eval(Substitute(NameExpr(addTxt), Expr(scriptNameTBD), "LCL Text "||Char(i), Expr(xTBD), PhaseMaxRowList[i], Expr(yTBD), LCL, Expr(txtTBD), LCLtxt));
	Eval(Substitute(NameExpr(addTxt), Expr(scriptNameTBD), "Avg Text "||Char(i), Expr(xTBD), PhaseMaxRowList[i], Expr(yTBD), Avg, Expr(txtTBD), Avgtxt));
	Eval(Substitute(NameExpr(addTxt), Expr(scriptNameTBD), "UCL Text "||Char(i), Expr(xTBD), PhaseMaxRowList[i], Expr(yTBD), UCL, Expr(txtTBD), UCLtxt));
);

txnelson
Super User

@ian_jmp

Very nice addition!

Jim
GoodMan
Level III

I tried the JSL on my Mac JMP 11. However it seems still the texts have been successfully added into the chart. In log window, i get the following error information and said that can not caluate out  subscript. Can you give me an explantion?

LCL = (Report( ct )[/*###*/"Individual Measurement of Acid"][Number Col Box( i )

] << get)[1];