cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to Express Tabulate results as percentages of row totals

Hi,

I am using Tabulate to summarise raw categorical data table. This works well but I would like the results expressed as percentages of row totals.
The raw table format is columns with Date, Failure Mode ("OK", "Chips", "Flakes" etc). Result should be a row for each day and a column for each failure mode, so each row contains % "OK", % "Chips", % "Flakes" for each day.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chungwei
Staff (Retired)

Re: Pivot table in JMP

Drag Failure Mode to drop zone for row (as a grouping column).
Drop Date on top of N (again, use Date as a grouping column ).
Drag % of Total under (or over, depends on which you want to come first) the label Date.
Drag "Date" from the column heading and drop it onto "% of Total".
Alternatively, you can drag Date from your column list and drop it onto "% of Total".
The idea is to drop the name "Date" to "% of Total" to let tabulate know that you want to use its total for the denominator.

The following script will generate the table that I think you want -

Tabulate(
Add Table(
Column Table(
Grouping Columns( :Date ),
Statistics( Name( "% of Total" )(Date) )
),
Row Table( Grouping Columns( :Failure Mode ) )
)
);

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
chungwei
Staff (Retired)

If you have Date on your Column heading, drag Date and drop onto % of Total label.
That should give you row %.

Hi,

Do you mean drag "% of total" into drop zone for rows, then drag date column onto the "% of total" label in the same drop zone for rows..? This gives %s of the total table contents, not %s of row totals. Or do you mean drag date column onto % of total ...? This does not appear to do anything (square cursor, then nothing)
chungwei
Staff (Retired)

Drag Failure Mode to drop zone for row (as a grouping column).
Drop Date on top of N (again, use Date as a grouping column ).
Drag % of Total under (or over, depends on which you want to come first) the label Date.
Drag "Date" from the column heading and drop it onto "% of Total".
Alternatively, you can drag Date from your column list and drop it onto "% of Total".
The idea is to drop the name "Date" to "% of Total" to let tabulate know that you want to use its total for the denominator.

The following script will generate the table that I think you want -

Tabulate(
Add Table(
Column Table(
Grouping Columns( :Date ),
Statistics( Name( "% of Total" )(Date) )
),
Row Table( Grouping Columns( :Failure Mode ) )
)
);

Hi Reg,

If you want %of each type out of the row total, I think you can try on the menu Analyze--> Fit Y by X. If your row and column data are categorical data, this platform will give you the contingency table. Hope this helps. I only know that the Tabulate platform can calculate the % of Total, but not % of each row.
chungwei
Staff (Retired)

Tabulate can give you row %, column %. The problem is that it does not have those commands in the list. To get those 2 statistics, you indicate to tabulate the denominator that you want tabulate to use. There is an earlier post that gave a more detailed description. You can do a search on the keyword "tabulate".

I see what you are saying. Yes, tabulate can do the same thing!

Thanks to everyone. Finally I made interactive tabulate work....

Thanks, contingency table works... but I see no option to convert to data table...?

For tabulate I think I have to conclude JMP8 does not have the functionality

rgds