Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Patterns in bar graphs

cm646

Community Trekker

Jul 21, 2015

Hi,

I was very glad to learn that JMP 12 now allows to fill in the bars in bar graphs with patterns instead of just solid colors. I need to submit my graphs in black and white so patterns are really necessary. However, when I try to export the graph on .eps format, the patterns do not show up, instead it just shows the solid colors. I have tried several different thing but nothing seems to work to export the graph correctly, showing the patterns. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I'm using JMP 12.0.1

thanks!

Camila

3 REPLIES
ron_horne

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

hi cm646​,

I know i am not exactly answering your question but i would recommend using needle charts, stock, range or anything that just uses lines instead of patterns since they cause and illusion and do not come as clear in black and white anyway.

ron

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

I have noticed the same thing (JMP 12 on Mac); patterns is not preserved in eps or pdf.

One workaround is to first export as svg and then convert into eps outside JMP. I have successfully used https://cloudconvert.com/svg-to-eps since the svg output from JMP cannot be imported by Adobe Illustrator (an error occurs).

However, usually I use Illustrator for fine-tuning the JMP graphics, including adding fill patterns, before submitting or printing.

cm646

Community Trekker

Jul 21, 2015

Hi everyone,

thanks for the tips, I think I'll add the patterns on Adobe Illustrator then. I'll also report the problem, hopefully they fix this in a next update.