cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
twaintwist
Level III

Passing Parameters to JSL script

I have a script that generates graphs over a particular date duration (e.g. last 30 days) -----    the requirement is to generate multiple graphs over several more date durations (e.g. last 100 days, 365 days, etc.) ---- and these date durations will likely change over time....    So is there a way to pass a 'duration' parameter to the script? ----  or should I set a text file containing the duration value and read from it in the JSL script?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
janeg
Level II

Re: Passing Parameters to JSL script

How are you invoking the jsl script?

This is what I do if I need to execute a jsl script from a bat or such and pass the jsl a parameter....

1. I write my jsl code as a Function with arguments and save it to it's own file - and it never changes.
  2. I have the bat file create a temporary jsl file that just  includes the file from #1 and then has one line that is the call to the function but with the argument on it.
  3. Then I have the bat file start jmp with the file from #2

From dos prompt .....      cmd /c start jmp "C:\my_constructed.jsl"

where....

my_constructed.jsl  contains  (and keep in mind this is the tmp file that gets generated then run)

\\!
    include ("C:\the_jsl_code_guts.jsl");
    x = my_real_code(10);

then....

C:\the_jsl_code_guts.jsl....   contains....

my_real_code = Function(

// function arg    

{duration_function_argument},

// local vars

{},

// your code that really does stuff.....

);

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
janeg
Level II

How are you invoking the jsl script?

This is what I do if I need to execute a jsl script from a bat or such and pass the jsl a parameter....

1. I write my jsl code as a Function with arguments and save it to it's own file - and it never changes.
  2. I have the bat file create a temporary jsl file that just  includes the file from #1 and then has one line that is the call to the function but with the argument on it.
  3. Then I have the bat file start jmp with the file from #2

From dos prompt .....      cmd /c start jmp "C:\my_constructed.jsl"

where....

my_constructed.jsl  contains  (and keep in mind this is the tmp file that gets generated then run)

\\!
    include ("C:\the_jsl_code_guts.jsl");
    x = my_real_code(10);

then....

C:\the_jsl_code_guts.jsl....   contains....

my_real_code = Function(

// function arg    

{duration_function_argument},

// local vars

{},

// your code that really does stuff.....

);

twaintwist
Level III

Jane,   thank you very much ---- I will give it a try....

twaintwist
Level III

I like Jane's idea and it works great  --- so I simply concatenate two files...

1. Create a text file with a line of JSL script that includes setting the parameter you want to pass in the Batch file (in DOS....  Echo Parameter1=30;>Parameter1.txt

2. Concatenate using the Copy command to create a temp.jsl script ---  Copy /y /b Parameter1.txt+DataScript.jsl temp.jsl

--- so the first line of the temp file contains the 'Parameter1=30; ' jsl command AND all the other jsl scripting that uses the parameter....

3. Now that the temp.jsl has the full Datascript and the one line parameter setting we can run the jump script.....

DOS Batch script.....

Echo Parameter1=30;>Parameter1.txt
Copy /y /b Parameter1.txt+DataScript.jsl temp.jsl
JMP temp.jsl