Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Overlay plots: formating date as m/d instead or d/m/y

rdmagare_ncsu_e

Community Trekker

Sep 1, 2015

I  am creating an overlay plot and want to display dates as d/m  (because I do not need yyyy for single year data and it makes the graph look very cluttered).

Unfortunately, d/m does not seem to be an option.  I have tried to play with formatting the data in Excel first but without success.  I would be grateful for any suggestions.  Otherwise, I love the JMP overlay plot capabilities.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

No need for a specific d/m format in JMP 12. Check out the new label nesting options that let you distribute dates on the x-axis over several rows. Labels and tick-marks can be hidden for one or more rows and thereby hiding e.g. the year part.

See this blog post for an example.

4 REPLIES
Wendy_Murphrey

Jun 23, 2011

You could add a new character column with a formula that would result in the format you are looking for.  Here is an example:

Char(Day(:DateTime)) || "/" || Char(Month(:DateTime))

Hope that helps.

Wendy

Wendy
Solution

No need for a specific d/m format in JMP 12. Check out the new label nesting options that let you distribute dates on the x-axis over several rows. Labels and tick-marks can be hidden for one or more rows and thereby hiding e.g. the year part.

See this blog post for an example.

rdmagare_ncsu_e

Community Trekker

Sep 1, 2015

Thank you Wendy and MS for your reply.  Downloading JMP 12 and nesting dates worked well for me!  I also looked into changing fields to character but this might not work well for me since my sampling dates are not regularly spaced. I appreciate very much the reply.  

Steven_Moore

Super User

Jun 4, 2014

Here's another suggestion since I have struggled with a similar problem:  Suppose you want to have a cloumn formatted as month-year (i.e., Jan-05).  In Excel, I created a new column using the text function as follows:  Suppose I have a column of dates (dd/mm/yyyy) starting at cell A1.  I then use =text(A1,"mmm"&"-"&"yy") in the first cell of the new column to get , for example, Jan-07.  Then , once the data is improted to JMP, you have to give JMP the order of the months-yr data that you want, otherwise, JMP uses them in alphabetical order.

Steve