Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
UA
UA
Level II

Overlay a common "control" dataset over grouped datasets

Hi there.  I have data that has 2 factors: salt and salt's concentration. With 4 salts and 4 concentration levels, that results in 16 unique sets of data. There is a "0 concentration" that is the control - no salt, and no salt concentration.

Currently: I'm using Graph Builder and Overlaying the concentration levels (like a dose response over time) and grouping by salt type - all in 1 graph. But right now, since I'm grouping by salt, the 0-concentration shows up as a separate sub-graph with 1 trace (0 concentration) and is not overlaid with the others (it's called "No Salt" in the "Salt" column). The other salts' sub-graphs have 4 traces each (one for each concentration level).

Want to avoid: I want to avoid copying the control data 4 times and changing the "Salt" column entry to each of the four salts. Also, I want to avoid using "Copy Frame Contents" and pasting into each salt sub-graph.

Target: How can I plot the control "0 concentration" on each salt plot automatically? 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Thierry_S
Level VI

Re: Overlay a common "control" dataset over grouped datasets

Hi,
Is your data stacked? If it is not (i.e. split in multiple columns) you may want to stack the data with the option of keeping all other variables.
If it is already stacked, could share an example of the data layout and the Graph Builder output?
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
Highlighted
UA
UA
Level II

Thanks Thierry, I will look into this more. I tried looking into stacking the data but I don't think I can fully replicate what is in the internet tutorials.

The graph builder output looks something like this: with 5 panels instead of 9 

And the 5th panel only has 1 trace - the control (0 salt). I want to overlay the 0 salt with the other 4 panels (which are 4 different salts with various concentrations of salt) without replicating the data.

Highlighted
Thierry_S
Level VI

Hi,
I now better understand your issue. I don't think that the tip I gave you re: stacking the data will produce what you need. I have to admit that without replicating the control data, I'm not sure that there is an easy solution.
Let's see if other JMP Community members think.
Best,
Thierry
Thierry R. Sornasse