Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Out of 8 factors, two cannot be mixed together. How can I set this up using DOE?

pdiaz2

Community Trekker

Jul 31, 2014

Often times, biochemical behavior is dependent on pH.  I have 8 chemical factors, that need to be evaluated at two different pHs.  The problem is that I can' t mix pHs.   For example, the pH factor has settings of either 6 or 8.  This requires that I provide chemical solutions (buffers) that has been adjusted to pH 6 and pH 8.  In each case the chemical is the same but is adjusted with acid or base  resulting in the two differing pH values.  If I provide them as two solutions and thus two factors, the designs invariably mix these two factors together which is undesirable.  I there a way to include pH in a single design or do I need to make two designs, one at pH 6 and one design at pH 8.

If I allow them to be mixed then the mixture would be pH 7.  However, the concentration of the buffer would be twice as high as it would be at pH 6 or pH 8, therefore the effect of pH would be confounded with the effect of buffer concentration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Have you considered evaluating the pH as one categorical factor? Lot 1 = pH 6 and Lot 2 = pH 8?

2 REPLIES
Solution

Have you considered evaluating the pH as one categorical factor? Lot 1 = pH 6 and Lot 2 = pH 8?

pdiaz2

Community Trekker

Jul 31, 2014

Dear Lou

Great suggestion! I'll give it a try. I hadn't stopped to think of a continuous variable in categorical terms. Thanks for your help.

Best

Paul

Sent from my iPhone