Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
MDG_2000
Level I

Orthogonal blocking possible?

Hello

When is orthogonal blocking possible? Only when run size is a multiple of number of levels?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Orthogonal blocking possible?

You are correct. It is not possible to make an orthogonal design with two-level factors in blocks of three runs.

Learn it once, use it forever!
Highlighted
MDG_2000
Level I

@markbailey  Thank you for your reply! I suppose that this also applies to the two-factor interaction effects? 

Can you maybe give a short explanation on why this is not possible?

Highlighted

You cannot estimate the main effects and two-factor interaction effects with 48 runs. It will take at least 80 runs. The model matrix for the regression analysis will have 80 columns, so you need at least 80 rows for the ordinary least squares solution to the normal equations.

Highlighted

The question about orthogonality applies to any pair of the terms in the model. The answer is the 'inner product' or 'dot product' of the corresponding columns in the model matrix X that is used in regression to estimate the parameters must be zero. Regression analysis and solution of the normal equations does not require these columns to be orthogonal.

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.