Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Ordinal Date String Columns

agonzales2021

Contributor

Jun 23, 2017

So I have a Numeric Continuous DATETIME column in this format: 2017/04/22 10:56:37 PM

And what I'd like to do is get this format: Mon yy  (as in Jun 18)

I just need it ordered and for some reason nothing I'm trying is working. Formatting with Jun is for some reason causing it to become a character that is not ordinal so please help! I just want to make sure that if I plot these dates, they're in order.

5 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

JMP dates are continuous numeric columns.  The Display Format that you see, is not how they are stored, it is only the way they dates are displayed.  So all you need to do is to click on the column header, and select Column Info.  Then change the format to "m/y".  It will then display the data in that format in your table and in any platforms you use.

Jim
agonzales2021

Contributor

Jun 23, 2017

No, that is not what I asked. I don't want 04/2017

I want Apr 17

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Oops,

Given that, you can define a custom format to do what you want.  The format to use is:

molist = {"Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun", "Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec"};
molist[Month( :value )] || " " || Char( Month( :value ) );

Assuming you are using JMP 13 

Jim
agonzales2021

Contributor

Jun 23, 2017

Final_tab:Month << Set Property("Value Ordering",

molist = {"Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun", "Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec"};
molist[Month( :TKOUT_TIME )] || " " || Char( Month( :TKOUT_TIME ) );
);

? I still get it coming out of order

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

I apparently was not clear in what I was passing on to you.  What the code I gave you above, is a custome format.  Not a Value Ordering specification.  What you need to do, is to copy exactly the code I gave you, and paste it into a Custom Format

cf1.PNG

Select "Set Custom Format"

cf2.PNG

And it will produce the following output.  The below data table has the "date" in the format you want, and the actual date in the column called "Full Date".  The table was sorted in asscending order based on the "Date" column.

cf3.PNG

Jim