Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Open really old JMP files

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

In a long-forgotten corner of my hard drive there are a bunch of old JMP files. I just recalled those experiments and wanted to have another look at my 20-year old data.

However, I cannot open these files in JMP12. How far back do I need to go to open version 1 files? Or is there another trick?

8916_jmp1.png

6 REPLIES
chungwei

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

version 3 will. maybe version 4.

louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

MS,

I had some old files, perhaps version 2 and 3 that I opened in JMP 6 and then I was okay.

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks for your answers. I should have working licenses for version 3 to 6 (right now I only find the v. 5 disc). I'll wake up an old computer and try it.

louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

MS,

If its any help I have version 6 on my current computer and did not have to "wake an old computer" for this task. Again I'm not sure if this will work but could save you some time.

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Version 5 won't install on a modern Mac. Power PC processor required so I pulled out my old Power Macintosh 7600 (from 1996). It started fine, I could even connect to the internet (current www.jmp.com renders terrible in Netscape).

ChungWei and Lou both seem to be right. I had JMP v.4 and v.5 installed. Both versions could open plain JMP v.1 data tables, but both failed to open data tables with column formulas, or that is at least what JMP, besides a warning about a possibly corrupted file, tells you in the log: While converting old formula: the formula was in a format that was too old to be read. Open with Version 3, save with compatibility option unchecked.  

So Version 3 appears to the best tool for reviving these old files. I'll see if can find that disc (or was it floppy?). Thanks for the hints!

louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

MS,

Thanks for sharing your experience.