cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
martacandan
Level I

Note with null hypothesis explanation. How to activate that option?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to JMP and to statistical analysis. I'm still on the phase of choosing "my" software.

One of the things that I liked the most about JMP was the Note showing which is the null hypothesis (for advanced users it might sound stupid but I found it very useful on a course I did).

In this video e.g.   I see in minute 2.21:

NOTE: H0=The data is from the normal distribution. Small p-values reject H0.

I try the very same steps on the video but I don't have the note under my results.

I'm using JMP® Pro 15.2.0 on MAC through my university license.

I tried searching the discussions and the preferences menu, but I cannot find the option to activate it.

Anyone can help?

Thank you!

Marta

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Note with null hypothesis explanation. How to activate that option?

That video was made with an earlier version of JMP. In version 15 the distribution fitting was standardized on a different test. As a result, that message was removed. Note that the message was always the same. It was not relevant to the data.

If you really want to see the old test with the message, click the red triangle > Continuous Fit > Enable Legacy Fitters. 

Now return to the red triangle and you should have a new option Legacy Fitters. Choose the distribution you want from there.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

That video was made with an earlier version of JMP. In version 15 the distribution fitting was standardized on a different test. As a result, that message was removed. Note that the message was always the same. It was not relevant to the data.

If you really want to see the old test with the message, click the red triangle > Continuous Fit > Enable Legacy Fitters. 

Now return to the red triangle and you should have a new option Legacy Fitters. Choose the distribution you want from there.

Dan Obermiller
martacandan
Level I

Thank you Dan! It works! I'll use this legacy option until I get more used with all the concepts!
statman
Super User

Marta, Welcome to the JMP community.  TMK, that note is not reported in the software.  I suppose it is assumed by most users that tests of significance are tests of the alpha error.  That is, the probability of rejecting the null when the null is true.  The lower that probability (p-value) the less chance of being wrong if you reject the null.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
martacandan
Level I

Thank you statman! I know it sounds stupid for people with a more advanced knowledge on statistics but when you are starting, all these tests, null hypotheses are a bit overwhelming and just having that trick there helps a lot.
statman
Super User

Marta, I completely understand.  Statisticians have their own "language" and it's quite unusual for the "normal" person, pun. intended.  My suggestion is to use JMP Help (built in to the software), often and when you get confused about the language post it here.  We'll help decipher it for you.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

It's a big loss, and I think unnecessary; p-values are much easier to understand when you know what the null hypothesis is, and not knowing it, or not being totally sure of it, is one of the biggest obstacles in learning to use statistical software.

-Dave