cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nldavis
Level I

Non-numeric Pass/Fail Rate Analysis

I'm a long time JMP user, but a first time poster.  I’ve searched and searched and cannot find a means to analyze data the way I’d really like.

Attached is an Example data table that I’m using.

For my specific example, each “ID” has ~700 unique X/Y coordinate locations.  And each one of those X/Y coordinate locations is tested for Pass/Fail.  (Pass = “.”; Fail = “F”).

Ideally, I’d like:

• A Contour Plot, with a color gradient associated to the Pass and/or Fail rate for all ID’s.  (e.g. if -9/+13 passes 1% of the time it would be blue, and if -9/+14 passes 99% of the time it would be red).
  • Or a 3-dimensional chart indicating pass/fail rates similar to above.
  • Or, if I can convert my X/Y coordinates into a distance-like measurement (radius, for example), a plot of Pass/Fail rate vs. distance.

The Example data table I have here (~30k rows) is a relative small subset of my larger data table (>>1 million rows).

Although I'm not opposed to working with scripts, can JMP do the above without scripts?  That is, does JMP have built-in functions to accomplish this task?

Help or advice is much appreciated.  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Non-numeric Pass/Fail Rate Analysis

I think the key to your analysis is "data prep work".  Meaning that you if you had a table that had a %pass for each x-y coordinate then you could use any number of graphics to explore your data.  I would recode your pass/fail column to a numeric column with 0 = fail and 1 = pass.  Then you can summarize your table (your x and y go into the "Group" and then you want the mean for the P/F column.  Once you have that table try graph builder with x = x, y = y and the mean column (%pass) as the color and try the contour or heat map from there.

Karen

nldavis
Level I

Thank you very much.  This works beautifully.

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

JMP appears to automatically interpret the Pass/Fail as a binary variable and show the proportion of "F" for each coordinate without summarizing. Recoding 0/1 gives the same result.

Set X and Y to Ordinal data type to get a heat map as below.

7984_heatmap.png