Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Newbie with a HUGE problem!

emmers

Community Trekker

Joined:

Sep 21, 2011

Hey Everyone,

I'm using jmp for the first time this semester for my graduate level stat class so please excuse my wording of things as I am not very stat savvy!  Everything was going smoothly until I hit a wall on my most recent homework assignment.  My instructor wanted us to run an ANOVA and then calculate the contrasts. I put the data into a data table and ran the ANOVA using fit model.  Then I clicked on the red triangle on the journal to run the contrast.  My data has ten different levels so there should be only ten + boxes and ten - boxes in the contrasts window but there is an extra one ( it really looks like a half a box) without a label below the tenth set of boxes.  Please refer to the picture that I've included.  This extra box (that doesn't have a label) is messing up the contrast and I can't figure out why it's there or how to get rid of it!  I've gone to my professor and he was stumped!  I'm now four days behind on my homework assignment because I can't do it without it being wrong.  Can anyone help me?1147_Contrast Photo.JPG

2 REPLIES
ms

Super User

Joined:

Jun 23, 2011

I have never seen experinced this as far as I can remember, and I can't reproduce the problem (JMP 9.0.2 for mac). It looks like a bug. What version of JMP are you running?

How is the contrast messed up? Does the empty box actually do anything, does it require any input? Or is it just an visual artefact without impact on the calculations?

emmers

Community Trekker

Joined:

Sep 21, 2011

Hi MS!  Thanks for responding.  I'm running jmp 9.0.  I thought that it might be a bug so I uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and updated it with 9.0.1 and 9.0.2.  It is still doing the same thing!  If clicked on the empty box changes the contrast.  I'm not sure how it changes it (I am not a stat person at all) but the numbers do change.  As of last night I assumed that since I had updated the program that there was a problem with my data table.  That was all I could think of even though I had redone my data table and knew that there wasn't an extra level lurking anywhere (as far as I know).  So today I loaded a copy of my table onto one of the computers in the grad lab.  No problem!!!  I thought for sure there would be a problem and that would make a problem with the data table a definite but no.  Now I'm completely lost and cannot do work on my home computer.  So frustrating!!!!!!!!!